Green Moss Growing on Rock(i need someone to ID)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have this green moss type stuff growing on my rock can someone tell me what it is

Attachments

• image-4031110284.jpg
    image-4031110284.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 143
Looks to be the start of the dreaded green hair algae. Usually caused by high nutrient levels and low flow. What are your nitrates and phosphates at? What type of flow are you working with? (Gph)

I think it it's 269 gph somewhere around there and I'm not sure I need to go get the kit

Us there a way I can get rid of it my shrimp and my blue legged crabs won't either

Critters won't solve the problem. I'd get another powerhead for flow and feed less. Are you using tap water

Yeah I get my water from my tub but my tank has been funning for 2-3months and I haven't done a major water change in about 2-3 weeks

Yeah I get my water from my tub but my tank has been funning for 2-3months and I haven't done a major water change in about 2-3 weeks
start using rodi water for top offs and for water changes. You should get a few more power heads for more flow. Phosphate reactor helps and a really good skimmer. But even if you check your levels you still might read 0 phosphates because the green hair algae is eating them up along with your nitrates. I just conquered the algae myself. Macro or cheato algae in a sump also helps absorb nitrates. Hope this helped you.

Thanks guys for you help but is there a cheap way of getting rid of it I don't have a job at the moment

Just be diligent, regular water changes and manual removal. I can't stress enough that using ro-di water will save you a whole bunch of pain. I can understand not having a bunch of cash but this hobby is hard :( I shopped around for the best price on water (even distilled water from the supermarket is better than tap) water changes cost me $2.

Yeah I'm trying to find a job now I have two summer jobs that pay really good money and this summer is when I decided to set up a salt water aquarium and smacked down 900$ already and it's not even finished

I don't use a reactor or protein skimmer, I used to have a skimmer but it was junk so I quit using it.
how big is your tank?? I would recommend using a protein skimmer unless you are doing big water changes.

how big is your tank?? I would recommend using a protein skimmer unless you are doing big water changes.

Tank is a 45 with 10g refugium, I do 5 gal WC weekly or 10 every 2 weeks depends what I have going on that weekend. Top off every couple of days with RO water. Feed tank 2-3 times a week, keep large amounts of macro.

Back
Top Bottom