Green Serpent Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I loved my grey brittle. Peaceful. All you'll ever see is the legs just hanging out waiting for food for the most part. With what you've heard, read, and fear, I'd replace him. Better safe than sorry. Too many folks I've heard that had issues with aggression.

And like I said, hermits and shrimp take care of leftover food just as well if not better.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I kept seeing and reacting to a green "Brittle". I see now, as plain as day that you have a serpent. Duh!!!!!

So much for the advice I've given..... :)

I know nothing about the green brittle.

Personally, I cannot find a good source to explain how the green brittle star is different from the green serpent star. Most LFS use the terms interchangeably. From my experience the smaller stars eat waste and leftover food bits. They are all opportunistic feeders that will eat a sick, dead, or sleeping fish if they come across it. The larger they get, the more predatory they become. The green ones seem to get the largest. There are stories about stars that lift up on their legs to create "traps" for swimming fish but I have never witnessed that behavior. I have witnessed a star that decimated my crew of inverts by reaching out and grabbing snails. They hide at the first sign of light, it is never an animal that you will be able to watch during the daylight hours.

Back
Top Bottom