Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

I loved my grey brittle. Peaceful. All you'll ever see is the legs just hanging out waiting for food for the most part. With what you've heard, read, and fear, I'd replace him. Better safe than sorry. Too many folks I've heard that had issues with aggression.

And like I said, hermits and shrimp take care of leftover food just as well if not better.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not exactly sure why, but I kept seeing and reacting to a green "Brittle". I see now, as plain as day that you have a serpent. Duh!!!!!

So much for the advice I've given.....

I know nothing about the green brittle.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Personally, I cannot find a good source to explain how the green brittle star is different from the green serpent star. Most LFS use the terms interchangeably. From my experience the smaller stars eat waste and leftover food bits. They are all opportunistic feeders that will eat a sick, dead, or sleeping fish if they come across it. The larger they get, the more predatory they become. The green ones seem to get the largest. There are stories about stars that lift up on their legs to create "traps" for swimming fish but I have never witnessed that behavior. I have witnessed a star that decimated my crew of inverts by reaching out and grabbing snails. They hide at the first sign of light, it is never an animal that you will be able to watch during the daylight hours.

Tags
star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com