Green spotted puffer???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know they're considered freshwater puffer fish but as they mature they go more into saltier water could I get a green spotted puffer and put it in my salt water tank???

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I don't know much about them besides they are a freshwater puffer. So on this basis no.

If the puffer you buy is use to being in freshwater and then you put it in salt water of 1.024 or around that salinity it will have a shock and most likely die.

I don't see why if you have a spare tank you couldn't start it of freshwater then slowly change it to salt water of the same salt content over a matter of weeks. This won't shock the puffer and if you say they can go in salt water then it should work perfectly ok.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are brackish water puffers. Ive heard of people converting them to full saltwater by raising the salinity very slowly over a few weeks.

Alright thanks for the help

In the wild the fry spend some time in freshwater, move to brackish water, then live in salt water once they reach adulthood. They are very aggressive so I wouldn't add peaceful fish like clownfish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They are and can be host in full saltwater. I got them at 1.025 for months now. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413089774.410460.jpg

Mine lives in full marine ?[ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413168519.667164.jpgATTACH]252660[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413168477.045912.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413168477.045912.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 103
I kind of want to get one due to them not needing a huge tank as I only have a 40 and I've had one in freshwater and I loved it I had it with a figure eight puffer

Do not put figure 8 in the full saltwater tank. For some reason my figure 8s never survived. I had them in the saltwater tank at the same time same way as my green puffer.

Both my puffers some how got body slime and it killed them was very disappointed maybe a green spotted will make my hawk fish less aggressive

They actually need to go to full saltwater when they reach 1.25 - 1.5 inches, for them to remain healthy and continue growing. But this must be done slowly. It should take at least 2 weeks. I think you will be surprised at how much more active they become. color will improve also.

I really want to do this as 1. They're super cheap and 2. They're my second favorite freshwater puffer. Problem is I don't have an extra tank to do it in so I can't get one unless I ask the store to do it for me and knowing the people there they'll probably try to jip my money

This can be done in a 10g tank. You should be able to get one cheaply, filter and all, as a kit which you then set up fresh and slowly, a little each day, watching ALL of your parameters until it matches your tank. Then again over the course of a day acclimate to the larger tank. This will leave you with a 10g sick tank, which is something you should have anyway.

But I forgot to add that they are real bullies. Read a lot before putting them in with anything else, and provide lots of hiding spots. They do get mean with other fish. Mated pair species tank is best.

Awesome thanks for the advice I thinking about it as I'll soon have an empty 10gallon but I'm not sure if I have the resources to do so it if I'll know how to anyways but I'll ask and research more as it will set my spotted hawk fish straight he's a big bully

The best part about a sick tank is that you dont want a bunch of stuff for it. I believe I saw a few posts on them. It's a necessity really.

That's perfect i don't want to start another thread but what are some strategies for getting a worm that eats anemones out of the tank I can't trap it it's too smart for that

It's more likely the anemone is dying or dead already and the worms are just doing there job.

No I have this what I cal the slime worm it's an Oenone fuldiga worm or something like that

Back
Top Bottom