Green Spotted Puffer compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so im bringing my GSP up to full salt. Does anyone know if he/she can co-exsist with corals and marine inverts or things of that nature? Or will it be to incline to eat everything?

I would think a puffer is a puffer ,,but i never did what your doing so maybe you could let us know:)...JK,,but i bet it would eat em

Do all puffers have the same temperment? If anyone may know...

Its better not to keep them with any fish or inverts. Keep GSP around 80 degrees. They will eat anything, and destroy stuff when pursuing food IMO.

Ok...i have no problem keeping him by himself. What kind of lighting do i need to support life rock as he gets closer to full marine? Could i keep him with corals?

If you decide to keep rocks or corals, then you will need 40gals for GSP alone. Those things take up a lot of space for the GSP to swim in.

Not sure about corals and lighting. I'm an FO kinda guy.

edit: not sure how much live rocks or corals you will get. I just assumed you will get lots of them. Just make sure your GSP have enough swimming space because they are super active and curious.

Puffers will eat all corals starfish seacucumbers snails and hermit crabs they are totally not reef safe I learnt the hard way but would never be without my puffers they have so much personality 

Ok, That's fine with me, he's in a brackish tank now with some fake plants. Could i just do live rock and grow coralline algae? When I go this route, what type of light is required, i've read you don't need much but i just wanted to double check with everyone on here. I think some nice rock work with the colors of Coralline algae would be a nice look. I have a 36 gallon bow front now, are you suggesting i upgrade to a bigger tank if I go the route i'm thinking with just live rock?

I've got a 40 gallon but with rocks, gravel and sand, it has only 36 gallons of water (I measured as I added). From what I've read, you'll need at least 30 to keep a gsp, so you have some room, use it well.

Id check some of the FOWLR treads it's your best bet the GSP is a true pred so keep that in mind and there dam smart too :)
PS by goin full salt you may shorten his life span

From what I read when I had my gsps is that they need full marine when they are adults but I always left mine in brackish. They will eat corals and anything really. Be ready to get bit everytime you clean the tank though lol.

Always so many conflicting arguments, which i am fine by, cause i'm sure everyone has a different experience, some have had theirs in brackish its entire life and lived a great life or it unfortunately had died and same with full marine.

Maybe i'll invest in a 40g breeder and just transfer my equipment to that so i have the extra room, really do love the bow front though.

He's a lil guy right now, prolly about 2.5 inches and i always let him nibble on my finger, i know down the road if he gets bigger he'll be able to eat my finger, but for now he's like a lil puppy. How long has everyone had their GSP's? And have they reached the full 6" like most profiles on them say they will?

If i was to take him to full Marine, and get live rock, would I be able to grow Coralline algae safetly with him to give the tank some color? Also, is a special light required for this type of algae?

Perfect, thanks alot i appreciate your response Honda...I hope others have input on their GSP's

No the salty'er the water the harder the fish has to work to keep hydrated Im most likely wrong Not shure if they migrate to full salt when they mature and return to brackish to spawn.you got me wondering now so i gotta find out lol

I wish I remembered the website. It said they live in brackish tributaries and then move to full marine when they are adults

As long as the GSP reaches the higher end of the salinity level, then it will live a long healthy life. They live in full marine water, but travel to freshwater to pump out some new GSP in freshwater. Since we don't breed them, its better to keep their water condition stable with no fluctuation with SG.

You have many options for the tank if the GSP goes full marine, like putting in live rocks and other marine fishes (not recommended). At the higher end of the brackish levels, you have less options. Either way, just make sure your GSP gets water that is close to marine water as an adult.

I think it all depends on the individual fish. The mrs keeps her GSP in with a few soft corals and he completely ignores them. He's housed with a couple clowns with no probs either but years ago I had a GSP that was EVIL. You can never tell.

Back
Top Bottom