Growing liverock (lighting question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuOD

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I have a 4x2x2 lit by 260w PC orbit system. I was wondering - for optimal liverock stuff growth (I have about 25 lbs of live rock and 100 lbs base rock) how much/what type of light should I have per day?

ie; 12 hours actinic and 8 hours both or what.

Thanks!

I try to simulate the ocean. I run all my lights 8 hours a day. I believe 8-10 hours is a good number.
Regular PWCs should also help you coraline and other critters to spread. Actually, if you did a diary, that would be awesome, for other folks!

Promoting the growth of coraline on LR is far more dependant on the proper CA level (and CA/ALK balance) then lighting. Coraline must also be introduced to the tank before it will spread. As mentioned, PWC will go along way to helping with this. Is this what you mean by "optimal LR stuff growth"?

Yep this is what I mean. I've seen some little worm type things darting between holes on the LR already. And I think I've seen a few worms growing out of the LR.

I guess it's just a matter of time now :)

Yes they will move out and spread out through your BR but the main thing that makes your rock live is the nitrifying bacteria. This is the main thing you need for your tank to cycle.

Back
Top Bottom