Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Speaking of emerald crabs. From what I understood they do not fight among themselves but woke up to a battle royal on my toadstool leather.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDshoes
Speaking of emerald crabs. From what I understood they do not fight among themselves but woke up to a battle royal on my toadstool leather.
Lol. Nice. Mine had territory fights when I gradually introduced more. My largest will even perch himself on a rock upside down and try to catch my tangs as they come out of the cavework. Granted, he's only done it once or twice- but that concerns me more than losing a crab. He's never caught a fish though!!!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol o agree but unless ur tang is sick and week an emrald won't be able to harm him... but yes I was so amused this morning woke up the lights were not on yet and I had 3 emeralds on the top of my toadstoll absolutly going at it standing up on hind legs with there claws flying I couldn't help but to laugh.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Jesse18
I had an emerald crab but it died idk y though and I have 2 peppermint shrimp and a yellow tail damsel I only have 1 pound of lr it is in a 2.5 nano until I get a bigger tank
Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well that's prb y ur getting hair algae the damsel alone is prb to much of bio load for a 2.5 not positive on that since I have never had a small tank but pretty sure its to much for a 2.5
Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you can raise magnesium levels. That had been known to kill of bryopsis. I haven't seen too many creatures eat it (at least not on a regular basis).
if you intend to shut the lights off, like suggested, it's going to have to be for about a month, with absolutely no light what so ever entering the tank.
If you have livestock, this is impossible to do.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aptesea snails do a great job eating the hair algae.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
do you mean Astrea snails? If so, i've never seen one eat bryopsis. I've never seen any snail eat it. Only grapevine talk.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I had my 46 and had a hair algae outbreak, I used emeralds, Astraea and no lights. The emeralds would snip it to where only a little would remain on the rock. Then yes I could see where the astraea snails would plow over it and leave a clean space. I would do a lights out for 2 days, lights on for 1 and so on for about two weeks. I also would change water every 3-4 days. No I'll effects were seen on corals but all my HA was gone within two weeks. But the algae is not the enemy right now, it's actually helping your tank by consuming excess nutrients. You need to first take care of the excess nutrients. Water changes and removel of the fish is needed. Then the HA should take care of itself. As for the nano, I have a 2.5 fluval spec and would never consider putting a fish in there. I'm having a hard time convincing myself it's ok to have a shrimp in there. Way too much bioload with a fish for sure.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes sry astrea snails and I went thru it a while back and they wouldn't leave each rock til it was completly gone actually pretty impressive how fast they ate it.

Tags
algae, hair, hair algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com