Has anyone had luck keeping more than one caribbean blue tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErrolP

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, On Wed i will be upgrading my 29G biocube to a 90G factory drilled tank. I know yellow tangs can be kept in very small shoals, but i was wondering if anyone has ever kept more than 1 carribean blue tangs , i know that they are a little smaller than the hawaiian (Zebrasoma flavescens) and are less aggressive but am want more information before buying these tangs, they will be the only tangs in the tank and if i purchase i will get 3 that are 1.5". Thanks

A 90 is too small for a Atlantic blue tang. They get very big and are quite aggressive.

A 90 is too small for a Atlantic blue tang. They get very big and are quite aggressive.

Im asking about caribbean blue tangs not atlantic. IMO a small blue hippo will be fine in a 90G until it reaches about 4 to 5 inches, but thats my opinion.

The caribbean tangs also get quite large, I had one awhile ago....I did alot of research on them cause i really really wanted a different tang than whats always out there liek the yellows and the blues.

carey said:
The caribbean tangs also get quite large, I had one awhile ago....I did alot of research on them cause i really really wanted a different tang than whats always out there liek the yellows and the blues.

I heard they do not get as big as the Hawaiian yellows, but It depends upon nutrition and space, I think I'm going to go with either a small pacific blue and possible a tomini or white cheek. People advise a 6ft Tank for tangs but IMO as long as its not a big tang I will be fine. thanks Carey!

joy13 said:
From the little bit of research I have done they are very prone to stress related diseases as are most tangs. You MIGHT JUST MIGHT have luck but is it worth the risk of possibly wiping out your whole tank? Fish Stress and Disease Overview Article from FishVet, Inc.

If it was me and really wanted a tang I would go for it in a much larger tank. I know someone that has a tank for sale that would be a perfect size for a tang 720g Acrylic Tank - Page 2 - Carolina Fish Talk check it out!

I think 720 is a little over kill for a tang lol! I already have a 180g a 125g a 29biocube, a 20g qt tank and a 10 coral propagation, and just bought a 90g! I think if I got another tank my roommates who are not in the hobby may smother me in my sleep haha. I am also a member of Carolina fish talk, what part of nc are you from? I'm down here in Wilmington!

Kio707 said:
Are you going to upgrade when it does get bigger?

Absolutely, I have a 180g a 125g 90g and a 29 Biocube, I'm also trading my 180g predator on 5 months for a 350g custom acrylic tank for my 5 triggers and lion.

Absolutely, I have a 180g a 125g 90g and a 29 Biocube, I'm also trading my 180g predator on 5 months for a 350g custom acrylic tank for my 5 triggers and lion.

What kind of lion? Do you have pics of your tanks?

Kio707 said:
Why not put the tang in the 180g or 125g? They already stocked?

The 180 has 5 triggers, 125 is fully stocked, a 90 will be fine for a couple small tangs, I'm not worried at all abt the space issue, if I buy a tang they will be less than 2", when the 350g is done I'm moving the 125 to the 180g, I have a couple pics of the 180g on my profile I'll try to upload some pics, the lion is a volitan and there is also a 5" stars and stripes puffer which I'm donating to my buddy's new seafood place down here in Wilmington and will housed in a 500g cylindrical tank. Most likely the lion will go there too, being the 350g will house only triggers.

I was going to trade the 180g but I'm going to sell the 125g instead bigger the better lol

Im asking about caribbean blue tangs not atlantic. IMO a small blue hippo will be fine in a 90G until it reaches about 4 to 5 inches, but thats my opinion.
Same thing. The Caribbean is in the Atlantic ocean.
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Caribbean Tang
The Blue Caribbean Tang, also known as the Atlantic Blue Tang.....

Even tho they only grow to 9" long, the get to be about 7" tall. They are shaped like a dinner plate when fully grown.

ccCapt said:
Same thing. The Caribbean is in the Atlantic ocean.
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue Caribbean Tang
The Blue Caribbean Tang, also known as the Atlantic Blue Tang.....

Even tho they only grow to 9" long, the get to be about 7" tall. They are shaped like a dinner plate when fully grown.

Thank you, I have decided not to get o e due to the fact that thru my research and others comments, I'm going to get a small blue hippo and white cheek.

Kio707 said:
What kind of lion? Do you have pics of your tanks?

I just uploaded some pics of the 180g even tho some of the pics are from the 125 before they got transferred to the 180, also the panther grouper in the pic I donated to the fort fisher aquarium in nc.

A blue hippo is even worse. And no tank is overkill for a tang or any fish for that matter they live in the ocean.

I know its my opinion but many others (the MAJORITY) will agree with me. Please do whats right for the fish. I would strongly suggest not getting any tangs other than the very small kind (kole tang, tomini tang) which are very pretty with fantastic personality.

Back
Top Bottom