Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Has anyone had luck keeping more than one caribbean blue tang?

Hey guys, On Wed i will be upgrading my 29G biocube to a 90G factory drilled tank. I know yellow tangs can be kept in very small shoals, but i was wondering if anyone has ever kept more than 1 carribean blue tangs , i know that they are a little smaller than the hawaiian (Zebrasoma flavescens) and are less aggressive but am want more information before buying these tangs, they will be the only tangs in the tank and if i purchase i will get 3 that are 1.5". Thanks

Old 12-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
A 90 is too small for a Atlantic blue tang. They get very big and are quite aggressive.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
A 90 is too small for a Atlantic blue tang. They get very big and are quite aggressive.
Im asking about caribbean blue tangs not atlantic. IMO a small blue hippo will be fine in a 90G until it reaches about 4 to 5 inches, but thats my opinion.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The caribbean tangs also get quite large, I had one awhile ago....I did alot of research on them cause i really really wanted a different tang than whats always out there liek the yellows and the blues.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

From the little bit of research I have done they are very prone to stress related diseases as are most tangs. You MIGHT JUST MIGHT have luck but is it worth the risk of possibly wiping out your whole tank? Fish Stress and Disease Overview Article from FishVet, Inc.

If it was me and really wanted a tang I would go for it in a much larger tank. I know someone that has a tank for sale that would be a perfect size for a tang 720g Acrylic Tank - Page 2 - Carolina Fish Talk check it out!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
The caribbean tangs also get quite large, I had one awhile ago....I did alot of research on them cause i really really wanted a different tang than whats always out there liek the yellows and the blues.
I heard they do not get as big as the Hawaiian yellows, but It depends upon nutrition and space, I think I'm going to go with either a small pacific blue and possible a tomini or white cheek. People advise a 6ft Tank for tangs but IMO as long as its not a big tang I will be fine. thanks Carey!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you going to upgrade when it does get bigger?
Old 12-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13
From the little bit of research I have done they are very prone to stress related diseases as are most tangs. You MIGHT JUST MIGHT have luck but is it worth the risk of possibly wiping out your whole tank? Fish Stress and Disease Overview Article from FishVet, Inc.

If it was me and really wanted a tang I would go for it in a much larger tank. I know someone that has a tank for sale that would be a perfect size for a tang 720g Acrylic Tank - Page 2 - Carolina Fish Talk check it out!
I think 720 is a little over kill for a tang lol! I already have a 180g a 125g a 29biocube, a 20g qt tank and a 10 coral propagation, and just bought a 90g! I think if I got another tank my roommates who are not in the hobby may smother me in my sleep haha. I am also a member of Carolina fish talk, what part of nc are you from? I'm down here in Wilmington!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not put the tang in the 180g or 125g? They already stocked?
Old 12-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio707
Are you going to upgrade when it does get bigger?
Absolutely, I have a 180g a 125g 90g and a 29 Biocube, I'm also trading my 180g predator on 5 months for a 350g custom acrylic tank for my 5 triggers and lion.

Tags
blue tang, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com