Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogspawn View Post
if i keep doing the water changes twice a week at 5 gallons will the hair algae go away?
It will definitely dilute the excessive nutrients that are fueling the algea. This problem didnt happen overnite and neither is it going to disapear overnite. By manual removal and dilution of nitrates and phosphates then you can win in the long run.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

the fish seem happy, so i am not to concerned about it going away right now. i not going to put anything in the tank like last time and stress them out. almost lost them both.
if you remember last year about this time when i left; i came back to a much much worse tank then what i have right now. hair algae was clean to the top of the tank. LOl i remember taking globs of hair algae out hand full at a time. now its just a little covering the surfaces of the rock.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, i got good news and bad news.

Bad news is the Refuge has a small crack in the corner looks like some on threw a box on-top of my aquarium supplys i had in the shed. so i looked around and brought out my CPR Bac-Pac to help reduce some of the excessive nutrients in the tank in conjunction with doing 2 partial water changes weekly for the time being. Should i add a small bad of Carbon for a few days? 3-7 days?

i think i going to cut my lighting completely off for a few weeks. There is no more corals so i have nothing to worry about any more, i don't think.

Some more bad news, also from me putting my hands inside the tank and doing my water changes i think i may have stressed the fish a little; i have not seen the six-line and the clown i just seen scratch on the side of the glass.

i threw in another maxi jet 600 on my wave maker long with my 1200 and 900 to give a little more flow inside the tank. i believe along with the protein skimmer i just may have enough movement for my 30g.

i thew away my old flake food and water testing agents for the simple reasons it was super old stuff. my refractor says i just a smidgen high on the specific gravity @ 1.031
i left room for error this go around cause it has not been changed in so long and i found it was a little high about 1.034Sg when i came home; So on my way to the store tonight i am going to get a bottle of distilled water and put in there, That should bring it down a little more. I plan to do another water change about Tues or Wed By ten it be as close to 1.026 Sg as possible.

Also since i been working on my Tank i have found that my Heater is broken. but the Temp stays about room temp at a steady 72-74 Degrees.

any suggestions would be grateful as-well.

if i can pry my Girlfriends New crama out of her hands long enough i will take some updated shot.

Tags
ick, sick, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com