Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Health Fish but Sick Tank

hey guys. i haven't been around for a few months cause i have not had any issues. i guess thats a good thing huh lol well, i am back cause i left my tank unattended for a little while having a friend take care of it this semester cause i had to take off. i came back for the next semester and boy o boy i have some work to do. its not to bad but i think i going to need to fix a few things. the hair algae is not covering every rock and from what he said the lights stayed off for the most part while i was gone (i learned from my last experience)
to get to the point i look at the fish and they look very good. they never grow lol but they look healthy. No white dusting, no scraping on rocks and over all move around the tank pretty well. he never did a water change when i told him to so i betting its been a few months since so i going to do a water change with pre mixed salt water from my local pet store this weekend. he added a hang on back filter to the tank which is covered in salt creep and the spray from the filter has covered my 150watt HQI LOL so i have allot of cleaning to do. i do not want to take all my live rock out and clean it again. it did more damage last time then good.

i have no snails any more thanks to the hermits that once inhabited my tank since then they all died and only little white small star fish rome the tank now.

Where should i start?

Old 12-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The first thing I would do is test your water parameters. Let`s make sure we are OK there. Next I would do several 10-20% PWC`s and when you do them I would attach a toothbrush to the end of your siphon hose. Gently scrub the algea off your rock and siphon it up out of your tank. I believe if no PWC`s were done then your tank is loaded with excessive nutrients that added with you using the lights will explode with nuisance algea. That`s why the PWC`s will be very important. I`m just suggesting you kill two birds with one stone and knock out the algea removal also. I`m sorry you had to come back to that but it still can be a viable tank. BTW Welcome back.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thats a cool idea melous! i never thought of that. but the last time i scrub my rocks to get off hair alage i remember it being hard to get off. Will a simple tooth brush work? wow thats cool idea.

i going to to do several water changes.. how much you think for a 30-gallon tank? 2-4 gallons? i going to keep the lights off for the next several weeks till i get rid off this algae. i am thinking since i have those little star fish the water cant be that bad can it? i only have a clown fish and a six line walrus in my tank. and i believe i have about 30lbs of live rock. You think i should get rid of the HOB filter? and replace my refugium like i once had? if ya look in my pictures you will see.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If you could get the refuge on there with some macro algea in it for nutrient export that would be great combined with the PWC`s.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

hey guys what you think of one of these rodi units? i like them all.. any suggestions?

P U R E W A T E R C L U B

i like the Zero 0 ppm Reef 6st Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Water Filter
Old 12-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
if you can replace a hob with a fuge, i say go for it. that filter looks good. I paid more than that for a 4 stage on ebay. Good water is key to everything as you know.
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

sounds like a plan.. got to get another small pump to pump the water into the refuge.. thats why i took it off. i look this week end for a good one to use.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

what do you recomend how much water i take out for partial water changes? i do 5 gallons just because the pre mix water comes in 5 gallon jugs.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m thinking 5 gallons will be OK. To start off you may need to do it twice a week to get those excessive nutrients down.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

if i keep doing the water changes twice a week at 5 gallons will the hair algae go away? and what did you think of that RODI unit? was it good for that price? or should i get a kent marine something more top brand?

Tags
ick, sick, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com