Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CluelessInNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
Pink wormy things are cropping up all over my LR when I drop in food!!! I see them popping out of the LS too. WHAT ARE THEY? should I try to eradicate them? Last count, I had about 6 of them.

I think they're bristle worms, but wait, do they have bristle on them? Coz those worms usually pink in color...

Does it look like this?

bristleworm2.jpg

i put a little glass jar in my tank... already caught 15. im not trying to wipe them out but more so controll them as they are getting a little out of control

-Brad

Looks like a the fireworm variety. Predatory and can hurt a lot if touched I believe. Brisltworms are no big deal to be in the tank. But these hairy ones are fireworms I believe.

I once saw a thread in another site saying it killed a clown fish. Hmmm....

if they are bristle worms...don't worry about them....they are a good part of your cuc.....if fireworms.....ouch...try a small 6 line wrasse

If they're bristle worms here's a trick to help if you really wanna get rid of em. They do help w/ detritus removal, but if you over feed they can grow to plague proportions, so monitor your food levels. Make sure the fish eat what you put in in a few minutes. Ok...take a pair of nylon stockings (panty hose), and cut one of the legs off. Put a piece of LR, or something heavy (preferably from the tank, so as not to introduce a contaminant) inside the stocking alond with a piece of krill, shrimp, or just a block of frozen mysis. Do this at night when the lights go off. The worms should come out for it, and their bristles should get stuck on the hose. Just lift out in the morning and throw away. Another trick is to take a small section of PVC pipe and drill some small holes large enough to allow the worms entry, but not too big, and cap off the ends...you could just shove something (something sanitary anyway) into both ends, and place it in the tank once it's been baited with one of the above foods. Again, do this at night, and they should go in and get the food, and still be there in the morning. Again, just lift out and empty the contents. Hope this helps!

google bristle worm traps. There are a couple ingenious designs out there, plus some commercial ones as well.

Back
Top Bottom