Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
Thanx but no.....

You're missing more than that, no offense. Google or search here for how to cycle a tank. Your water parameters are going to take a while to show any change with 2 fish in there (that's kind of a good thing). The HOB's are fine. Each time you add new LR , if it's not 100% cured, you're going to run the risk of some degree of a cycle or adding to the one that you are trying to complete now. Just because they all test 0 now (and in the near future) does not mean everything is ok, it will mean that the cycle hasn't even started yet. No different than cycling a FW tank.

The fact that is was a FW tank before has no bearing on the setup process other than doing the right thing by getting rid of the UGF. You've got water, sand, LR, a filter(s); that's plenty to get the tank cycled. Then move on to equipment. Just watch out for adding that rock incrementally and test/test/test/test/test/test

Old 05-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Let's take a step back. Live Rock is NOT required for a saltwater tank. It greatly enhances the look of the tank , adds biological filtration and is required for some livestock (or something similar) feeding patterns. You can run a pure sand bottom or a bare bottom for that matter. If you choose to use rock, you can use it a pure decoration or add it in quantities that will allow you to use it for filtration. If you choose not to use live rock then you need a canister or HOB filter (with the size of your tank probably multiples of those). You also don't need any specific lighting if all you plan on having is fish. A protein skimmer is a great tool as well but not required. Plenty of successful tanks have neither.

As far as the fish are concerned, they should be taken back if possible. Cycle your tank fishless. Get the right water testing chemicals, do it right, then add fish.

You don't need to spend an arm and leg to get into saltwater. If the passion takes then in the long run you'll start looking at other species (coral, inverts,etc) that require specific lighting (read that $$$$), and other semi-required equipment to make their survival more likely.

Yo do not need to make that leap now if you choose not to.
Correct!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
I would disagree. In the end your now cycling with fish in a small container. If the choice is made to cycle with the fish, the larger tank is preferable as the toxins are more diluted to the fish while still being present for the S L O W build up of bacteria. Unless you can get yourself a nice hunk of cured LR to drop in there.

'done correctly the cycling process should only take a coupla weeks' ... hmmmm might be a tad optimistic
I agree w/Ahab about "bacteria-build up" and his suggestion about LR.My suggestion about re housing was mostly for the benifit of having everybody out of the way while you're doing your thing with set-up and teardown experiments.I've recently learned-.....(anything "I" know about SW= = makes me still a "newbie" by all rights)....-that it is pretty-vital to have SOME SORT of source of bio stuff in order to kickoff or initiate the cycling process.
I was my experience that while (re)building my display-once cycling was complete I was able to simply move the fish to their nice/new/home...and they were able to settle right down and establish their prospective little areas w/ no chance of stressing due to a flurry of activity constantly uprooting things...fogging the place up...etc.
You 'SHOULD" however pay MUCH more attention to suggestions made on this site by folks who have terms like "moderator" and multiple years-in-this-field..etc behind their profile name.Personally "I" only occassionally speak up cuz sometimes..."outta-the-mouths-of-babes"....dig?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

HG..You have alot to learn....There are many here with lots more experience then post will ever show...
TC
Old 05-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

wont those damsels eventually bully and harrass most fish added?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

who says im keeping them ill trade them in i dont really want aggressive fish
Old 05-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

was just asking, love damsels, but have heard they would bully clowns and tangs, even in a 98 gallon.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i like the colors of the yellowtail blue damsel that we have and doesnt seem as aggresive as the domino in there with him but we are going to try to go towards some sort of schooling fish
Old 05-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

FOWLR you are headed in the right direction. Reef, you are going to need to make some changes but those can come after you have cycled the tank.

The article section of the site (linked previously) is a great place to learn some basics of getting started.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You should switch filtration to a wet/dry filter. Power filters (or hang on the back) are not suited for salt water. What's also great about Wet/dry is you can put other equipment in there so it doesn't have to be in your show tank- heaters and protein skimmers can be hidden under your tank. But the protein skimmer should probably be the first purchase. Also take it slow. Maybe hold off on coral since the lighting necessary will be the most expensive purchase. Take a look at some easy to maintain fish. Focus on that and some cool rock croppings w/ live rock. Good luck!

Tags
150 gallon, 50 gallon, salt, saltwater, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com