Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ok i just bought a skimmerits a coralife super skimmer for up to 220g and tested the water even for copper scince was previse a fw tank and no copper have some ammonia but no nitrites yes but med nitrates and hob items is all i can do the stand is only about 16 inches from floor with half that being covered so im very limited

Old 05-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #22
Thanx but no.....

from the website, might be just break in. They get so-so reviews. My preference would have been Octopus brand.

Saltwater aquariums build up impurities in the water called organics. They also build up phenols, and oils from biological processes. These impurities raise the "surface tension" of the water which coats the bubbles made by the skimmer and makes them hold more intact and changes their density. Some bubbles become heavier and are able to make their way out of the bottom of the skimmer to the tank. If the skimmer is allowed to remove these impurities the surface tension will go down and no more bubbles will make their way to the tank.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
HG..You have alot to learn....There are many here with lots more experience then post will ever show...
TC
I have no idea WHAT you mean here.
Are you telling me to be quiet or what ??
I KNOW all too well that I've alot to learn.....but don't understand What it is YOU are saying.....that I have alot to learn about.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gross View Post
I have no idea WHAT you mean here.
Are you telling me to be quiet or what ??
I KNOW all too well that I've alot to learn.....but don't understand What it is YOU are saying.....that I have alot to learn about.
I think it was in reference to your comment...

Quote:
You 'SHOULD" however pay MUCH more attention to suggestions made on this site by folks who have terms like "moderator" and multiple years-in-this-field..etc behind their profile name.
There's some good advice being given on this site by folks that have not been onboard very long, or have titles behind their name.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Lets keep the discussion on topic please.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
I think it was in reference to your comment...

There's some good advice being given on this site by folks that have not been onboard very long, or have titles behind their name.
Okay..........folks this is "ALL" my bad.
My comments about listening to Moderators was is no way meant as a slight on any body elses knowledge...experience...etc.
After re-reading it...and looking at in in a different perspective...I can understand that it may have seemed as tho I was saying "don't listen to him"-sorta thing...(unless they are a moderator)...........
"I" would NOT ever do such a thing onna public forum like this and I apologize for any misconceptions I may have created.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

When you get into SW especially one that size.... your gonna have to spend money to get it right. If you choose to just go fish only you wont have to spend as much. You will definately need the skimmer. They sell HOB skimmers but for that size it would be huge. Your filtration needs to be really good in order to avoid SW type algae that will form if the proper filtration is not used. Look at Melosu58's link above and do good research to make it right and you'll love it.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ok for filtration i have an hob filter that does 400 gph with the carbon stuff and the skimmer what else would bee good that i can do without going underneath and as listed as above the skimmer is coralife 220
Old 05-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i am somewhat looking for lighting the tank is 72 inches but seems 72 inch lights are somewhat hard to find plus i really dont know what im looking for but was thinking that maybe i can go with 36 inch light and get 2 to go accross
Old 05-22-2009, 05:10 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluvjeck View Post
i am somewhat looking for lighting the tank is 72 inches but seems 72 inch lights are somewhat hard to find plus i really dont know what im looking for but was thinking that maybe i can go with 36 inch light and get 2 to go accross
Let Google be your friend...
Coralife 72 T5 Nova 72 inch T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture T 5 Aquarium Light T 5 Aquarium Lighting

Tags
150 gallon, 50 gallon, salt, saltwater, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com