Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlynd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Lately all my fish (clowns) keep dying a couple days after bringing them home. they all seem to be forming disease like symptoms such as low activity, resting on the bottom and breathing hard. PH=8.1, Ammonia and nitrite=0, nitrate=30-40, and my hydrometer says salinity is 1.023. Could there be something wrong with my water or possibly the lfs is selling me unhealthy fish? Any info would be much appreciated!

Is there any color change? Also how are you acclimating them and are they tank bred or wild caught? It is always possible your hydrometer is off by bit.

There doesn't seem to be a significant color change. Ive been using the floating bag method and I believe they're wild caught.

Check both your water and the lfs sg before just using the floating bag method. It might be stress related since most wild caught fish go through a lot to even get caught they put chemicals in the water to basically poison them.

How would you recommend acclimating the fish?

I typically acclimate my new fish with a drip tube over a longer period of time. My local fish guy also recommends keeping pH between 8.2 and 8.3. Also, ask your supplier what they keep their salinity at. It's easier for the fish to acclimate downward. Also, it's been my experience that if fish die within a few days of getting them home, and you acclimate them properly, they were probably sick before you got them home. My supplier likes to make sure the fish have been eating for about a week before he sells them to me. Hope this helps some.

drip acclimation there is probably a guide on this forum. or you can do the float method replacing bits of water every so often.

Back
Top Bottom