Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myselfandme2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How can I do a water change with an invertebrate at the top of the aquarium.

Snail or shrimp or ???

If it is a snail just do the pwc and it will probably drop back down into the water or you can gently nudge it off.

If it is a shrimp do the water change with a cup fast food plastic cups are usually good.

I like the Starbucks trenta 30 oz cold cups for large opening at the top of the tank (or a dedicated half or gallon pitcher) or the tall for a small opening. Any corporate store (not sure about franchises) SB will give you a free water even if you don't buy anything. They are nice and sturdy.

By using the cup or pitcher you cna make sure you don't capture any fish or inverts.

If using a tube or vac, use a coarse opening fish net over the opening and use your hand cupping and flicking away over the front to shoo away any shrimp / fish.

A white bucket can keep you from dumping any critters.

Snail or shrimp or ???

If it is a snail just do the pwc and it will probably drop back down into the water or you can gently nudge it off.

If it is a shrimp do the water change with a cup fast food plastic cups are usually good.

I like the Starbucks trenta 30 oz cold cups for large opening at the top of the tank (or a dedicated half or gallon pitcher) or the tall for a small opening. Any corporate store (not sure about franchises) SB will give you a free water even if you don't buy anything. They are nice and sturdy.

By using the cup or pitcher you cna make sure you don't capture any fish or inverts.

If using a tube or vac, use a coarse opening fish net over the opening and use your hand cupping and flicking away over the front to shoo away any shrimp / fish.

A white bucket can keep you from dumping any critters.

Neither, he is a short spine urchin

Just do the pwc. Think tide pool. Have everything ready to refill. You can probably move it to a lower level where there will be water. If you a have a piece of algae sheet for it, just add the clip below the water change line and it will probably move down to eat. Then change the water.
You can gently nudge it off the glass too.

How many gallons are you changing?

Just do the pwc. Think tide pool. Have everything ready to refill. You can probably move it to a lower level where there will be water. If you a have a piece of algae sheet for it, just add the clip below the water change line and it will probably move down to eat. Then change the water.
You can gently nudge it off the glass too.

How many gallons are you changing?

10 gallons

I have several limpets in the tank that I have urchins in.

The limpets are never in the water. My water level is 3 in down from the top just for them.

The urchins 1/4 of the time are out of water.

Low tide on the reef there are loads of urchin out of water.

Just do a reg. water change the urchin will crawl down or wait for you to fill it back up.

1/2 the time snails work there way above water line any how so they'll be fine
urchins will generally follow the level of water so wouldn't be concerned about him either

Back
Top Bottom