Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wabassoweird

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I did something totally stupid. I cut the crossbar on the top of my 39 gallon tank so my moonlight would shine into the tank and the glass instanly bowed out. I need to know is this dangerous. did anyone else make the same mistake and knows a way to fix it. any advice would be appreciated

My guess is that this is pretty dangerous! Glass isn't supposed to bow, and it might be near breaking. I'd drop the water level as much as you can, and see about repairing the tank ASAP.

Your risking the structural integrety of your tank by having the center brace removed. Tank manufacturers will use thinner glass because of the center brace helping hold the tank in shape. Having the brace removed puts extra pressure on the seals.

http://www.thatfishplace.com sells frames for certin types of tanks and you may be able to find a replacement frame there. If not your LFS may be able to order you one. You will need to take as much water out of the tank as possible. Remove the old top frame. Often times breaking it into small bits as you do it. Clean the top glass from old silicon and then applying new silicon to the top and putting the new frame on the tank. Allow 24 hours to pass for the silicon to firm up before putting water back in the tank.

Thanks. My only option right now is to drain most of the water out and flue the crossbar back on with some silicon glue. when i get some money into my pocket ill pick up a new frame but do you think the silicone will work temporally

I'm not sure if the silicone will work, it streatches. Can you build a make shift bar with some wood something like a clamp...?

I did something totally stupid. I cut the crossbar on the top of my 39 gallon tank so my moonlight would shine into the tank and the glass instanly bowed out.

Sounds like what i would do XD

Good luck fixing that tank

Thanks for the help. i drained most the water out of my tank and order a new top from all-glass.

when i shook the crossbar it didnt seem like their was any tension on it. oh well the new top was only 10 bucks. Lesson learned

Ours broke and we didn't notice it until the sidewall of the 50 started to push the glass away and out and making a huge v-shaped gap on that one seam, it sucks. Glad you caught it before it caused more damage. You live and you learn.

Hey what kind of glue should i use to put the trim back on top of the tank

Thank You!!!!!

This forum is so awesome!!!! i was able to get a new top from all glass for only 10 dollars. i glued it on the other day and the tank is up and running with
the live rock almost cured. I am looking forward to purchasing my first fish and i will definitely visit Aquarium advice daily. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom