Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schulze

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need some advice. One of my blue leg hermits just attacked another, kicked him out of his shell and stole it. The shell less hermit then tried to retake his shell but failed and had one of his two big claws ripped out in the fight. What should i do? I thought these types of hermits were peacefull?

Hermits are selfish. They will fight, and take whatever they want. You may want to try and find the hermit another bigger shell quickly, perhaps place it close to him (but don't get too close and stress the hermit). Otherwise, there isn't much else you can do, sorry.

Well he took the other guys old shell and can barly lug it around :(. Before it happend i found the looser in the corner with a dead hermit that i can not account for at the moment. After the claw got ripped my my narcissus snail popped up and stole the claw to eat. Does any of this make sense?

Also are the red hermits less agressive than the blues?

The dead hermit might be a molt, probably is actually. They are indistiguishable, trust me. Yes, that all makes sense. :)

The hermit will be okay, he'll get used to the shell.

My scarlet hermit (red) is about the same in agressiveness, but they get much larger. MUCH larger.

They need extra shells to move into, bigger than the ones they were in. It sounds like devilish said, a molt, then he went looking for a bigger shell. The snail or hermit would have eaten the claw, it should grow back with his next molt. I would go to a craft store and buy some extra shells. I believe the way to judge is not by shell size alone, but the opening to the shell. The openeing should be bigger than the one they already inhabit.

I've found electric blues to be more agressive than the rest. I watched one of mine actually pick up another shell and bang it against his own at least 15 times until the attacked crab came out of it. He then tried his conquest out to see if it fit. The loser was on the winner's back during this time. After the winner decided he didn't want the new shell, he crawled back into his own and walked away. As he was, the loser returned to his empty shell.

Still hermits and snails come and go in this hobby IMO. Natural things like that happen - empty shells and re-upping on your cleaning crew are your only options.

Part of the cycle of life. I have a ton of shells of varying sizes for my hermits, but inevitably another hermit is being evicted or a snail is getting attacked for its shell. Guess some like that lived in look for their shells.

Not much to do but accept that it will happen time and time again.

Back
Top Bottom