Help acclimating New purple tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwater newbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys i just got a new purple tang for my 150 gallon tank, hes about 5 inches long, but.... my yellow tang is about 6 inches long and he keeps harassing the purple tang. I know the purple tang is fairly hardy but i dont want to lose $150 fish. Today i rearranged the live rock to try and make them set up new territory. If anyone has any tips or advice it would be welcome. Thanks

Not much else you can do except hope the established yellow calms down. Ideally, they should have been added at the same time. Both fish are in the same family (zebrasoma.sp) and have the same body shape, which many times can cause problems...as you see.

Hmm, well, you picked two tangs that don't like other tangs in their tank (especially with similar body size/shapes). You can try taking out the Yellow and placing in QT for a week or so.
I'm not the tang expert so I will let others chime in with better ideas/experiences.
Well, Larry beat me to it!

Last edited:
I pulled the yellow tang out and put him in my 50 gallon for the night. the purple tang hasnt been bothering anyone. Do you guys think a Black and White Heniochus Butterfly, Powder brown, or Fox face Rabbit Fish would go fine with the purple tang? I think im gonna return the yellow tang for one of those 3 or maybe get a smaller yellow tang?

You might have a problem getting the butterfly fish to eat so make sure you see it eat before you get it. I guess those would do OK in a 150 gallon.

Luckily I have a great Lfs its called Nemo's he has great looking fish, and he will quarantine your fish for 2 weeks if you like, do you think those fish are too big for a 150 gallon? I'm fairly new to this so any advice is welcome thanks.

IME the Heniochus will get too large and aggressive for the 150g. I have 4 in a 550g at work and they are beasts, but they are pigs and very easy to get eating. The powder brown (Acanthurus japonicus) should be fine as would the Foxface. As for the yellow tang, unless it is receiving physical damage I wouldn't have removed it. All fish need to establish territories upon introduction and the more you separate the two the longer it will take...this goes for all fish.

Edit: I wouldn't trust an lfs' quarantine unless I received written and signed work for the protocols, especially with only a 2 week quarantine period.

I say u should trade it for a smaller yellow tang it works i had a salfin tang that kepyt harrasing my new 1 inch blue tang so i traded my salfin for a smaller one.

i put the yellow tang back in, and so far they are staying away from each other, now will random tussles with each other cause health problems with them, or will they be okay if they tussle every once in a while

idealy.. remove both fish and put them in the 50 gallon for about a week.. then add them both to the 150 together. rearange the rocks again before hand.. and try adding them in with the lights off. that worked before for me =D

They will periodically spar throughout the day just about every day. I would venture to say most tangs behave this way towards each other regardless of body size or shape and most of the time it is indeed a defensive behavior.

Well yellow tang went back to being a jerk. So i took him back, and got a 4 inch powder blue , and 7 blond naso tang. My tank is now finished and so far everyone seems happy and eating.

I had same problem with my Sailfin Tang, always tryed to fight with new fish. I just added a puffer fish this week an of course the Tang had to show off and try to pick at the new fish. I put him in qt when adding others no, then return him with lights out. I would love to add another Tang but don't wont to take the chance to lose it. Are all tangs like this?

IMO the yellow eyed Kole tang is not very aggressive. At least as not as much as the tangs you have mentioned.

special lighting said:
I say u should trade it for a smaller yellow tang it works i had a salfin tang that kepyt harrasing my new 1 inch blue tang so i traded my salfin for a smaller one.

Hmmm

Back
Top Bottom