Help, all of a sudden cloudy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wings4wheels

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently setup a 90 gallon fowlr tank. Went through the cycling process and over the past few wks i have added a small pair of false clowns, small pair of bangaii cardinals and a peppermint shrimp.
I woke up this morning to find the tank quite cloudy. I am not sure what the culprit is. I last did a water change last wednesday. I took some tests today, and everything is fine, although pH could be higher (around 7.9).

I want planning for another water change til next wednesday. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Could be just a bacterial bloom. Is there any odor coming from the water?

Lets just say it is a bacterial bloom. If it was, should I do a water change, or wait until the water clears?

Do a 10% pwc. Also keep an eye on nitrates. How long do you leave on lights and how often do you feed?

Nitrates have held steady at 20 or less. Lights were about 10 hours, but I have adjusted that. I have a hob mini fuge that is lit longer, so that light bleeds in for an hour or so before and after the main tank lights. Also think I have over fed for the last couple if days, since one of the cardinals sends to hide and doesn't seem to interested in food.

Yeah, your trates are high... Try to get them to about 10 or lower.

Adjusted light timer already. Trates are high? I get so many mixed reviews on this. I have heard that the goal is zero. Also heard that zero is impossible. Have heard that 40 and under is fine for fowlr tanks. I would love to get them lower, but a 10% water change will move it from 20 to 18 right? Want to get it right, but I am so confused. Thanks for any help you can offer.

I am using cheato. I diy'd it out of a aquaclear 500. Has sand and rubble in it too.

Lol... I feel you on that. 20 isn't horrible, but 10 and below is better. High trates will feed you algae. Mine are 0-2.5 in my tank.

Nitrates can be at zero with a bit of effort on your part. Most of my tanks run at 0 and it's weekly water changes of the correct amount and not overfeeding the tank that helps get to that point. :-D

If it were me I would do a quick 20g water change and go from there. It may take 20% water changes going forward to make a dent in the trates. Once you get there its easy enough to maintain.

Cool, good to know they can get that low! Maybe I will keep doing weekly pwc's til I get it down or run out of money! How long should I light the fuge, and should it coincide or be the opposite of the main tank?

Start doing pods now... took me over 3 months of adding them to even get this guy to plump up. Now it eats pellets and occasionally frozen.

Back
Top Bottom