Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Unhappy Help, Brown Algea Outbreak

Ok, to make a long story short, I have a 45g tall, 3 month old tank. I have 4 clown fish and one anemene. Cleanup crew of 4 pepperment shrimp, 3 hermit crabs, and a red crab. I also have 2 sea urchins and 32lbs of live rock as well as base rock. I have one 1300gph power head, an Emperor 400 hob filter, and a protein skimmer. All levels are good, salinity is 1.024. I am scraping brown algea off the glass daily. What can I add to help with this problem? I have heard the cerinth snails would work. Please advise

Old 03-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cerith or Trochus both work really well

Old 03-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

is the algae on the substrate? or is it on the glass?
10 gallon (quarantine)
chiclidlover81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well he said he's scraping brown algae off the glass daily.

Have you tested for phosphate and nitrate recently? Let us know what the readings are.

Adding something to eat up the algae isn't going to get rid of it. You need to irradiate the problem from the source.

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

are you using tap water or ro/di?
10 gallon (quarantine)
chiclidlover81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, what kind of lighting and how long do you tub them? What is you feeding schedule? On a side note, Has it been mentioned to you that you may encounter issues with the 4 clowns?
Old 03-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

*not tub, use them. What is your lighting cycle?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

ok, lets see if I can answer everything at one time. The algae is primarily on the glass, not much on the substrate because the power head keeps that pretty clean. I have tested the water and the salinity is 1.024, amonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, ph is7.8 (down from the norm of 8.2, not sure why) whats the best why to get my ph up again? I use ro water not tap water. I have T5 lights, they are on for about 3 hours in the morning and 5 hours in the evening. I feed once a day.

No problem with the clowns yet, I hope one doesn't develop. I added 10 snails, 10 hermits, a Kohl Tang and a Diamond Watchman Goby this weekend. I also did a 10% water change. Now I have 4 clowns that I see whenever they aren"t hiding in the anemone (which moved and is now hidden in a cave) and a Tang and Goby that I never see. I need to buy fish that aren't shy.

On a side note, I'm looking for a 125g if anyone knows of one nearby (Cols/Ft Benning, GA) that they're wanting to get rid of. I'm tired of being told my tank isn't big enough for the fish I want to buy. lol
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

How often do you feed your fish? Adding more fish was a really bad idea, particularly ones that aren't appropriate for your sized tank. Even though you show 0 nitrates you obviously have high levels of nutrient in the tank that is feeding the algae.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
How often do you feed your fish? Adding more fish was a really bad idea, particularly ones that aren't appropriate for your sized tank. Even though you show 0 nitrates you obviously have high levels of nutrient in the tank that is feeding the algae.
I feed once a day. Both fish are small, and I am looking for a larger tank so I can move everything. I'm tired of being told my tank is to small for most of what I want to put in it. I took a sample in to two different lfs and the water tested fine. However that's the reason for the additional clean up crew and Tang to get rid of any extra food and Algae. The tank is looking better already and the water is (knock on wood) crystal clear.

I have also discovered I have a baby long spined sea urchin... and I seem to have some new corals or plants growing on my live rock. I will post pictures so someone can tell me what it is. My base rock is starting to turn purple so I guess my coraline is spreading. I'm still trying to learn everything but it's a slow go, there's so much to learn

Tags
algea, brown, outbreak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com