help cycling a tank. first time aquarium owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jones1483

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was going to cycle my tank with pure ammonia. I have some old live rock that has been dry for some time now. If I cycle the tank with ammonia will this rock be live again?

Go to a grocery store and ask for a raw shrimp, they will probably just give it to you, unless they are really greedy and want their 20 cents for it.. Anyways, throw it in your tank for a week or two.. Pull out whatever is left of it and Che k the levels.. My ammonia and nitrites went to 0 two days after I pulled it, then about a week later added a couple of clowns to it

Hi there. i use pure ammonia to cycle my tanks, I find it much easier and you can control the level of ammonia. :)

Yes, the rock will become live over time. within a few weeks the rock will have beneficial bacteria on and in it and in a few months it will look really good. lol I would add as much rock as you can now so that it benefits from the cycling process. You can add a few lbs of live rock as well, that will help jumpstart the cycle. :)

Do you have a liquid test kit for the water? You'll need that for the cycling.

Well then youre set. Just try to add as much rock now like I said above. Base rock can be added in the future though so don't worry if you cant add it all now. :)

have you checked out the sticky notes at the top of the forums? There are some great articles about cycling and how it all works

Thanks for the replies. I have a test kit. So I should get a raw shrimp throw it in the tank wait a few weeks before I test it? Then it should be good to go as long as my levels are okay

Yeah that's how I did it.. Worked good for me.. I left it in for a week and a half.. I was told that it's a good method because the shrimp, being from the ocean, carries a good amount of bacteria to help jump start the cycle

Raw shrimp is a good source of ammonia, but they do not carry any similiar bacteria that you're trying to grow during your cycle.

I like ammonia in the bottle as well.

I have a bottle of ammonia, says the only active ingrediant is ammonia. I also put two shrimp in my tank last night. I was going to buy some live rock tomorrow. Could I put the live rock in and leave the shrimp in while also adding the ammonia? Sounds to me like this would cycle ultra fast but I dont know. I also don't fully understand when I should start testing for the ammonia and nitrites.

If you are using the ammonia there is no need for the shrimp. I also have cycled both ways and prefer the ammonia method for the reason carey stated. You can precisely control the ammonia levels. I have a 75 gallon tank with 40 gallon sump and it only takes a capful of ammonia to hit the magic 4ppm ammonia. Also, if you shake the ammonia and there are no bubbles, you are using the right stuff.

This would be a good time to get all your rocks in the tank. All the stuff that died during the transfer will create ammonia. You only need a little bit of live rocks. The rest can be base rocks.

Back
Top Bottom