Help! Green chromis trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heera

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am new (6months) to the hobby it's my first Fowlr tank. I have 2 green chromis and a pair of clownfish.

Few days ago I got up around 11pm and went to check out my tank. I do that sometimes it's cool to see chromis sitting on a rock and clowns on the sand sleeping and all that amphipods running around.

But what I saw freaked me out.1 chromis was going up an down in the corner of tank. I turned the room lights on and saw chromis run into wall of the tank and rocks like blind, didn't even get scared of my hand near him. I sat there for 2 hours wondering how to help. Other chromis was nearby too. Looked online found things Luke blind to mating issues. So I turned lights off and went back to bed. Didn't sleep though.

Next day he seemed bit ok. Eat a little food was a pig before. After that he haven't eaten. Even tied putting food on him. Not eating anything. I am so worried.

Plz advice what to do. Help!
Don't want him to die on my hands.

PS: no visible sign of infection, never had aggression issues either.
tank is;
30 gallons with 25lbs live rock
Regular lights
Parameters.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
Salinity 1.024
Temp- 78f

I'm not sure, but I had a damsel doing the same thing. But she would bounce from the top to the bottom and into rocks. I assume it was swim bladder injury from fighting the two other damsels. Could be that...

Also read somewhere they will bang their heads into the walls if they have a certain parasite that resides in the head...can't remember the name.

Heera said:
I am new (6months) to the hobby it's my first Fowlr tank. I have 2 green chromis and a pair of clownfish.

Few days ago I got up around 11pm and went to check out my tank. I do that sometimes it's cool to see chromis sitting on a rock and clowns on the sand sleeping and all that amphipods running around.

But what I saw freaked me out.1 chromis was going up an down in the corner of tank. I turned the room lights on and saw chromis run into wall of the tank and rocks like blind, didn't even get scared of my hand near him. I sat there for 2 hours wondering how to help. Other chromis was nearby too. Looked online found things Luke blind to mating issues. So I turned lights off and went back to bed. Didn't sleep though.

Next day he seemed bit ok. Eat a little food was a pig before. After that he haven't eaten. Even tied putting food on him. Not eating anything. I am so worried.

Plz advice what to do. Help!
Don't want him to die on my hands.

PS: no visible sign of infection, never had aggression issues either.
tank is;
30 gallons with 25lbs live rock
Regular lights
Parameters.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
Salinity 1.024
Temp- 78f

It sounds like the fish was sleep.. Fish do sleep, n remember they dont have eyelids. Fish just sometimes hide between rocks, swim lifelessly at the bottom like my clown or run into rocks like your fish. Its nature it wont hurt them as long as they act normal in the mornin.

Thanks for your reply..
No I did not have any fighting in the tank.

Swim bladder..
It was able to swim across the length of the tank fast but hit the other wall as if didn't see it. Than turn about and do same on the other side. But it did at times hit the bottom, like bounce off but than swim around again.

Sleep..
Yet he normally sleep in an shell. Just with tail moving. But it was running nuts when I got there. Still doesn't explain not eating.

Head infection..
Any visible signs? I will search for this. But nothing different on top of the body I can see.

Will try feeding brine shrimp in the morning see if that helps...

Its in the QT now. He seems to be calm bit still not eating . Any ideas on what can I try feeding so he would eat. help!!

Sometimes my Chromi does that. Don't worry, it's normal. Good thing you don't have a Regal Tang, they have weird sleeping habits. My regal tang will wedge himself between the live rock when he sleeps. Hey also, I think maybe your Chromis got freaked out, due to when you flicked on the lights suddenly. I know you do that a lot, bit maybe they forgot or something. Hey, you're lucky it's not an expensive fish. Chromis are cheap, so if you lose one, it's not something to lose sleep over. Chromis are forgiving. If it dies, you lose at the most, $5. Then, you can test of any problems in your water. So, your Chromi or Chromis are most likely fine.
Hope this clears things up for you!
-Garrett

Thanks,.
He is doing bit better in QT tank. Still he can't see food. He eats 2 flakes out of 10 I put in. He tries but misses it. Hope he can see again sometime soon.

Heera.

I tried feeding again. He couldn't find food. I am very worried. Anyone have any info on blind green chromis. What could cause this???

Get a pipette and fill it with brine shrimp, try and get it near his mouth and slowly squeeze them out?

Definitely worth a shot IMO!

aaronalam said:
Get a pipette and fill it with brine shrimp, try and get it near his mouth and slowly squeeze them out?

Definitely worth a shot IMO!

Did that. As soon as the brine shrimp touched the mouth, he freaked out and went under rocks after hitting a few of them.

Thanks for all your guys help.

I talked to a LFS he have agreed to keep my chromis in his hospital tank until it's better. It's new store but the guy seems to know alot and have kept reef tanks for years.
Hope this saves his life..

Today was great.
I have taken my chromis to two fish stores before they just say he's going to die so buy 2 new ones. They just didn't care for the fish's life.

I went to Puppies Fish and Critters used to be fish world new owner Jim is great. Tested my water from seperate container it was great.

Than fish help started.
Jim Used flashlight to see if he responds to light. Ya blind for sure. Put in vitamins and amino acid powder to entice eating. Put in flakes, didnt eat, than pellett food, didn't eat than blood worms, still didnt eat. Than Used API stress coat after about 10 mins fish started eating a bit than he put in bit of brine and mysis shrimp, finally fish eat bit of those. I was so impressed I have never seen a store owner so passionate to take 2 hours on dying fish and all for free. Great right??But no he topped that. He offered to keep the fish in his hospital tank and treat it since it was eating now. I happily said yes!

Now I can go see him everyday. Jim said if eating continues eyesight will come back. I asked him how much you going to charge me he said NOTING! he said he will be happy if the fish lived. Just consider his store when I need something.
That's for sure.

PFC will be my new favorite store.

Wow, that's really cool.

I wish we had stores like that around here - hope your Chromis does well now!

And good on you for doing all you could to help him, some people would have just given up by now, I'm glad you didn't and all that work is paying off!

Back
Top Bottom