Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Help! Green chromis trouble

I am new (6months) to the hobby it's my first Fowlr tank. I have 2 green chromis and a pair of clownfish.

Few days ago I got up around 11pm and went to check out my tank. I do that sometimes it's cool to see chromis sitting on a rock and clowns on the sand sleeping and all that amphipods running around.

But what I saw freaked me out.1 chromis was going up an down in the corner of tank. I turned the room lights on and saw chromis run into wall of the tank and rocks like blind, didn't even get scared of my hand near him. I sat there for 2 hours wondering how to help. Other chromis was nearby too. Looked online found things Luke blind to mating issues. So I turned lights off and went back to bed. Didn't sleep though.

Next day he seemed bit ok. Eat a little food was a pig before. After that he haven't eaten. Even tied putting food on him. Not eating anything. I am so worried.

Plz advice what to do. Help!
Don't want him to die on my hands.

PS: no visible sign of infection, never had aggression issues either.
tank is;
30 gallons with 25lbs live rock
Regular lights
Parameters.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
Salinity 1.024
Temp- 78f

Old 06-19-2011, 04:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm not sure, but I had a damsel doing the same thing. But she would bounce from the top to the bottom and into rocks. I assume it was swim bladder injury from fighting the two other damsels. Could be that...

Also read somewhere they will bang their heads into the walls if they have a certain parasite that resides in the head...can't remember the name.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to KSum89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heera
I am new (6months) to the hobby it's my first Fowlr tank. I have 2 green chromis and a pair of clownfish.

Few days ago I got up around 11pm and went to check out my tank. I do that sometimes it's cool to see chromis sitting on a rock and clowns on the sand sleeping and all that amphipods running around.

But what I saw freaked me out.1 chromis was going up an down in the corner of tank. I turned the room lights on and saw chromis run into wall of the tank and rocks like blind, didn't even get scared of my hand near him. I sat there for 2 hours wondering how to help. Other chromis was nearby too. Looked online found things Luke blind to mating issues. So I turned lights off and went back to bed. Didn't sleep though.

Next day he seemed bit ok. Eat a little food was a pig before. After that he haven't eaten. Even tied putting food on him. Not eating anything. I am so worried.

Plz advice what to do. Help!
Don't want him to die on my hands.

PS: no visible sign of infection, never had aggression issues either.
tank is;
30 gallons with 25lbs live rock
Regular lights
Parameters.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5
Salinity 1.024
Temp- 78f
It sounds like the fish was sleep.. Fish do sleep, n remember they dont have eyelids. Fish just sometimes hide between rocks, swim lifelessly at the bottom like my clown or run into rocks like your fish. Its nature it wont hurt them as long as they act normal in the mornin.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for your reply..
No I did not have any fighting in the tank.

Swim bladder..
It was able to swim across the length of the tank fast but hit the other wall as if didn't see it. Than turn about and do same on the other side. But it did at times hit the bottom, like bounce off but than swim around again.

Sleep..
Yet he normally sleep in an shell. Just with tail moving. But it was running nuts when I got there. Still doesn't explain not eating.

Head infection..
Any visible signs? I will search for this. But nothing different on top of the body I can see.

Will try feeding brine shrimp in the morning see if that helps...
Old 06-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its in the QT now. He seems to be calm bit still not eating . Any ideas on what can I try feeding so he would eat. help!!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sometimes my Chromi does that. Don't worry, it's normal. Good thing you don't have a Regal Tang, they have weird sleeping habits. My regal tang will wedge himself between the live rock when he sleeps. Hey also, I think maybe your Chromis got freaked out, due to when you flicked on the lights suddenly. I know you do that a lot, bit maybe they forgot or something. Hey, you're lucky it's not an expensive fish. Chromis are cheap, so if you lose one, it's not something to lose sleep over. Chromis are forgiving. If it dies, you lose at the most, $5. Then, you can test of any problems in your water. So, your Chromi or Chromis are most likely fine.
Hope this clears things up for you!
-Garrett
Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks,.
He is doing bit better in QT tank. Still he can't see food. He eats 2 flakes out of 10 I put in. He tries but misses it. Hope he can see again sometime soon.

Heera.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I tried feeding again. He couldn't find food. I am very worried. Anyone have any info on blind green chromis. What could cause this???
Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Blind chromis? How to tell? What next?

That's some pretty good info, seemingly their eyes can regenerate too so just keep looking after him and I think he will be fine!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any suggestions on food type or water parameters that can help speed up the recovery process?

Tags
chromis, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com