Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #1

help I need advice.

So im new and i am having some trouble

Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm thinking you need to provide a little more info on what you need help with.......

Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And just to maybe help..is it saltwater, freshwater? About fish or tanks? Plants? Haha..give us more to work with and we'll do what we can to help you.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #4

Lol...65 gallon saltwater and i let cycle with 20 hermit crabs and livesand and liverock for about 4 weeks. I put the nutrafin start cycle in it and test strips were showing pretty good, i think the nitrates were around 40 if i read it right...the color was just barely pink...then i put a couple damsels in (3) for a couple weeks. Everything still tested pretty good. So i went and got clowns and scooters and angelfish and they all slowly died off( ive had this SW tank since october 2012. My shrimp are doing om so far and now im back to damsels!???? Im trying to figjre out why the expensive fish always die, because i really want to turn it into a predator tank. Help.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm thinking two things...(1) the tank did not cycle properly. Beneficial bacteria need ammonia to feed on and in not sure a few crabs put enough off to do the job. (2) you added too many fish, too soon and overloaded your bioload. I go with a fish, maybe two, per month just to allow my BB to adjust to the increased bioload.

What are your parameters now? Have you done a water change to bring your nitrates down? I suggest getting a good test kit. Strips are notoriously bad for accurate readings. If you have any Ammonia or Nitrites, your tank is not cycled.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #6

No ammonia or nitrites, i didnt put all those fish in at once there was a couple weeks between adding them and i do atleast 30-40% water change/month
Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long are they lasting when you add them and how are you acclimating them? What is happening before they die? Any signs of disease or odd behavior?

Damsels are tough fish and can survive bad water conditions. I'd get a good test kit just to double check that everything is okay. You mentioned that shrimp are okay? They are usually not okay with bad water conditions, so things are probably okay there, just a good idea to have that good kit.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #8

Damsels and shrimp r okay...the clowns died off one by one and they were eating but looked grayish/cloudy for a while and eventually died after a couple months...the angel fish seemed ok at first but wasnt really eating and died after a couple weeks...the scooters were great at first but got slower and slower then eventually died...i acclimate by putting bag in tank for 15 min then adding a little tank water little bit at a time till bag is full then dump half out and do that process over and over for about 2 hours time then net it oht and put in the tank...but tbat was before i had a quarantine tk like i do now but havent bought any new fish get, need to find out whats wrong first
Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 to the above. Get a proper test kit. It does sound like a not quite cycled tank. But it could be individual fish problems. How many scooters did you buy? They are members of the dragonet family and can be tricky to get to eat. I also have one and was advised that if I had 2 they may fight to the death. In any case 2 is too many for a 60g tank, they would have been competing for food. What kind of angelfish was it? Some species are also difficult eaters. And how many clowns? They are usually hardy species too so not sure about this one... Tell us a but more about set up - how much live rock? Filtration? What are you feeding?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #10

2 scooters,coral beauty angelfish, 3 clowns, about 40 pounds of live rock, penguin bio filter for 75 gallon tank and 30 gallon canister filter I feed frozen brine shrimp and micro shrimp pellets every other day...

Tags
advice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com