Help? im new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, this fourm looks like a great place to absorb information about salt water aquariums. Like the title states, i am new to the aquarium field. I have a old 75 gallon fishtank without the plastic support running through the center to hold glass/lights. I will have to custom build a lid. But enough about that. Ive already brought live rock and live sand and a cantainster fitler that has been running for about 3-4 weeks. Im sure the microbiological filters are set for use. Do i need a air filter? i have a protein simmer/ Heater and such. Also please give me alittle information about the correct parameters for the tank to be tested.

Im excited to be apart of the aquarium experience.

welcome to AA and this is definatly the place to get good info. what do you intend to do with the tank? fish only with LR or do you want to have corals because this may effect the parameters you are looking for, but essentially you want ammonia and nitrItes at zero and nitrAtes less then 10ppm. what other equipment do you have and what brands this will help people sort out what you still need.

Welcome!

Is the center brace not part of the aquarium design, or is it broken? Most aquariums are designed so that bracket is necessary for holding the tank together. There are ways to fix it though if need be.

Plentiful live rock and a protien skimmer is enough filtration for a saltwater aquarium. The skimmer puts air into the water, so you don't need an additional air pump. You don't need any more filters. The canister is good for adding circulation, so it's fine to use that, just replace the media with live rock rubble. How much live rock do you have?

You need to test your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. We'd expect after a cycle that your ammonia would be 0, your nitrite is 0, and your nitrate is on the high side. If that's what you're getting, start putting in fish food as though you already have fish, and test that the numbers stay that way for several days.

If you use pure water and high quality salt, and do weekly water changes, the rest of your water parameters should be correct.

Welcome to AA!! Glad you have decided to join us here!

Check out our article section, there is a lot of great information and tips on getting started. Can you post a pic of the 75 so we can see what you are talking about? I would not put water in the tank without the center brace.

Its a oldschool tank that has a very LARGE outer bracket holding the tank together. I went to a local shop and showed the salesperson a picture, he said he did not recommend it, but said it was okay (trying to sell a fish tank haha)

I have around 80-100 pounds of liverock and 40 pounds of livesand. the tanks been cycling for awhile, This weekend i will perform tests and change water..

Wait so I dont need a air pump?

Nope, no air pump. In SW O2 exchange happens at the sruface with surface ripple. You will need to get power heads. I like Hydor Korilias.

How long was tank sitting around without water?
Did you water test it to make sure there no leaks?
The older tanks did not have and did not need a center brace, so if the seals are in good condition you should be fine.

Skip the lid (use eggcrate for a cover to keep fish from jumping) and the air stone (not needed, could cause problems for some fish).

Read the articles on this forum, come backand ask lots of questions
For water parameters check out Reef Aquarium Water Parameters.

welcometoaa.gif

Back
Top Bottom