Help!!! I'm panicking here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluefishyjoe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a possible emergency here

i got home tonight, late

and i went to check on my clowns and recently new anemone to see how they were doing
i turned on the light in my room and instantly noticed something,
first off both of my fish were pale, which i don't think is a problem because they are often pale when there is no light in the room for a while, and then the lights suddenly go on.
then the fish began to move around,
my one fish, the larger of the two which im pretty sure is a mature female, went and did her usual "im freaked out because lights suddenly turned on ritual" which i have seen multiple times and know is normal,
my other fish, on the other hand, which i think, but am not sure, is a male, started acting weird, first he swam quickly to the bottom, and sort of stayed in one spot,

the spot where he was at was very close to the anemone: if you have read any of my recent posts you know that my clowns do not get close to the anemone and are wary of it, so this is weird,
the fish continued to move around slowly on the bottom, but not actually touching the bottom, and upright, for a while, then the fish began to swim or drift upwards for a second and then did the craziest thing, it sort of steered its drifting self right into the anemone, i thought it had gone suicidal, the fish is freekin deathly afraid of the anemone and it let itself go right in. as soon as the fish made contact with the tentacles, it darted out of the anemone and went into its favorite cornerwhile the other fish swam slowly around the tank.

i am freekin out here, can anyone tell me whats going on? or any other signs that i should look for to find out whats goin on, for more background info read my other post,"clown n' anemone" please respond quickly, i need to know whats happening here

I think it's normal for clowns to do that. They are just checking out the anemones. Read this forum's old posts about clowns and anemones. I remember reading about this behavior awhile ago. HTH

I think you are reading too much into it. Just shut the light off and leave them be. The erratic behaviour is due to the fact they were disturbed while sleeping. That is my thoughts.

I agree...nothing to worry about. In the future you should avoid startling your fish like this.

Fish go darker or paler at certain times in the day especially when they sleep. My small chromis turn darker or lighter every few hours for some reason

Never noticed this. Mine seem to stay at full color all of the time.

Most fish do tend to fade at night. I would imagine if you turned on the lights in the middle of the night you would notice a big difference...not that I am recommending you try it :wink:

Code:
Most fish do tend to fade at night. I would imagine if you turned on the lights in the middle of the night you would notice a big difference...not that I am recommending you try it Wink

lol. Just look at the fish when the light first turns on in the morning. U might be able to see

R. I. P. my mature female clown was missing in action the next morning when i woke up, i have searched everywhere and have given up on even finding the remains, i searched everywhere and have come to the the conclusion that one of two things happened, 1 the fish jumped out of a small opening and the body was consumed by my dog, or 2 the fish swam through the unused opening for my undergravel filter (i was dumb enough to leave it open) and got stuck and died. either way i am out 1 fish in my tank, i think i might buy a mated pair of perc's now

Sorry to hear about that. Do you have any type of a clean-up crew in the tank?

no, and i dont have a protein skimmer either so ill have to change my water soon cus i know its in there somewhere

Back
Top Bottom