Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-31-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yuo can get it at an LFS, I actually buy some stuff like this at a Chinese market near me.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:35 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

You can also try silversides, but if this lionfish is looking rather emaciated do feed enriched ghost shrimp.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ghost shrimp are excellent to get them to start eating, let me also recommend mysis soaked in garlic. It is imporatnt to feed varied.

It is quite common for these guys to be overfed at LFS's as well.

Check out Frank Marini's articles on lionfish care - he talks about getting them to feed and a proper diet (guppies/tuffies/comets are a big no-no).

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Here is another articel on nutrition. Some like to feed Tuffies but this is really not a good idea:

Old 12-31-2006, 11:09 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I cant get either one of those to come up. Dont know if its me or not.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:41 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Won't open for me either, but here is the husbandry article by F. Marini:
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:47 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hmm. I will have to figure that out, thanks. It has been 5 months since I was a mod at a site I used all my links...sorry
Old 01-31-2007, 08:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I agree with all the comments about krill. I recently bought a lion and it initially only ate live fish. Over the course of a week I would dance a piece of krill in front of it trying to entice it to eat (no garlic). Now, ever time I place krill in the tank the lion is all over it. Moving the krill around was essential to get the lion to eat. It took time (and the lion in the meantime fed on live fish) but krill worked better than anything else, including store bought shrimp.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #18

Re: Help! Lion won't eat frozen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty99
Hello, all. I have had a small(5" long) volitan lion now for two and a half weeks. He won't eat anything but goldfish. I know this is not good for him or the rest of the fish in the tank. I am trying to get him to eat frozen mysis shrimp and all tropicals1. Went so far as to buy a feeding stick and waggle the frozen cuisine in front of him. He just stares at it for a minute and slowly moves off. I even have to net my trigger to try to feed the lion or else the trigger devours the shrimp when it hits the water. Anyway, the lion hasn't eaten in 4 days as I told myself when he gets hungry enough, he'll eat the frozen, but now I am thinking of going back down to my LFS for more goldfish or gohst shrimp. I know this is common with lions, but I am frustrated. I also know that some of you have had this experience. What do I do? Stick to my guns? Give him a little live treat and be more patient with it? Please give me suggestions,Thanx
I feed my lion Gamma and krill. I soak it in bottled water for a few minutes and then feed. He LOVES it. He will almost jump out of the tank to get the food when fed. He was stubborn for a couple of days but did fine.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #19

well, thans for all of the great advice, but I still have had no luck with getting him to eat non-living offerings. I have tried almost everything that has been suggested and I guess he is one of a kind. I am very surprised that he has still not eaten the two very small damsels that are in there with him beceause it's sometimes 5 or 6 days until I can get to my LFS to get more gohst shrimp, but I am not giving up yet, I will wiggle a thawed krill in front of him again tonight!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:32 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

any luck yet? i got mine trained on frozen by holding goldfish by the tail in one corner of the tank untill he would come and get it,once trained on that i started slipping in silversides,shrimp and frozen krill and now he only eats frozen foods

Tags
eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com