Help! Live Rock causing issues in my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went to my regular store and purchased some more live rock. Supposedly it was cured however I've noticed that my ammonia levels are going up now. I'm very good about keeping my tank clean and removing excess food etc. Should I just do a water change? If its not cured then how long will this last? My tank is two years old and i have two clowns, a tang, a small coral beauty, and some cleaner shrimp. Am I at risk of going through a small cycle? I'm worried about the stress on my fish and shrimp.

If it wasn't cured than yes. I would remove it and cure it in a bucket with a power head and heater. It will continue until all of the dead stuff decays. Do pwcs to get the ammonia down. I hope everything turns out good ;).

How long does it typically take to cure? I've never had this happen before. I do know that I won't be going back there again. I rearranged all of my live rock so now I will be spending my time doing this again tonight...

It really depends...... Sorry I don't know. I would give it a couple weeks. And change the water every once in a while just to keep it clean for the rocks.

When I cured my rocks, I tossed it all in a bucket with a powerhead and a heater. Just let it go like you cycled your tank. Test parameters once and awhile and when the levels 0 out it is good to go. You don't really need to change the water.

There was probably some die off during the transport of your live rock hence the ammonia spike.

Back
Top Bottom