Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not sure when the tool it out to drain the tank . When it got to my house it was in a rubber made container and the person I bought it from didn't fill it to cover all LR all the way . I would say maybe a few hours. This is why I figured there was die off and I had posted a thread when I got the tank to address this because I was concerned fr the clowns. The ammonia is steady at .6-1.2 on my liquid test kit and I know the test kit is fine , because I test other tanks and they have 0 ammonia. There was 1 ammonia spike (test kit looked that orange juice lol ) I freaked out , and did a WC this was Nov 21st. Usually though it's always the same the lowest on the test kit . I need 0 for piece of mind! I have racked my brain and considered everything I can think of

Old 12-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

What should I do ? Break the tank down and start again ? Salt is so expensive to do a fish in cycle with so many WC. From the looks of my media there has got to be BB on it ! I've been adding more media. To try and get it to spread . Both filters are packed and water flow is excellent. I've tried the liquid ammonia removing products (garbage don't do anything) and I've been putting in the wool that's supposed to remove ammonia because of what it's Coated in ... No luck . I ordered some purigen which is on its way because i know a few people on here using it and want to switch over in all my systems .

Old 12-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

What about getting some good quality cured live rock to help it along. When I set up my last tank I did not even go through a cycle with this stuff. Parameters have been spot on ever since. If you can't fit any more in maybe swap half of it. If it is good quality live rock that will definitely solve your problem.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-193506304.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	67058

Sample
Pic of 1 filter
Old 12-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have not thought about getting more LR as there are so many other things I want to get lol we have NO SW LFS here so I order everything online . Might have to look into it though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-836712993.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	67059
Old 12-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow, I think I see your problem! There does not look nearly enough live rock in there. How many kg of rock to litres of water do you have? 1kg of live rock to 10 litres is a general rule but I like to have more because the porosity of the live rock can often vary. I have about 14kg in my 110 litre/ 29g tank
Old 12-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm not even sure how much LR is in there . I bought the setup second hand and the person I bought it from never told me how much was there and I never thought to weight it before I placed it into the tank . Duh . Correct me if I'm wrong but why would the amount of LR matter if you are using mechanical filtration as well on top of the LR filtration. Wouldn't it just be "extra filtration "?
Old 12-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok sorry I didn't realise you had the other filtration. One thing I would say though is that those filters need regularly cleaning, once a week at least. You also need to change the media often too. If your not careful nasties can go back into the tank from them. Extra live rock will still definitely help the problem and personally i would only use an external filter as an extra to take away particles from the water rather than a home for your good bacteria. That's what the live rock does. And that's how your ammonia gets processed.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do clean the filters by swishing the old ones on aquarium water . I suppose getting more LR can't make anything worse and is worth a try. Will have to look into what it will cost to have it shipped here .
Old 12-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well let us know how you get on, good luck and merry Christmas!

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com