Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi, I was reading your thread and wanted to say even without live rock your tank should have cycled within two months. The fact that you have clowns living in there that long without any ill effects makes me wonder if there is any ammonia in your tank at all. Especially with the fact that you have no nitrates or nitrites I would suspect the test kit you are using may be giving you a false reading. Are your reagents dated or expired? If you are testing with strips have they been kept dry? When shaking your test tube are you using a cap or putting your finger over the top? Something as simple as that could produce a false reading. Especially when testing PH. Hope this helps

Old 12-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz007
Hi, I was reading your thread and wanted to say even without live rock your tank should have cycled within two months. The fact that you have clowns living in there that long without any ill effects makes me wonder if there is any ammonia in your tank at all. Especially with the fact that you have no nitrates or nitrites I would suspect the test kit you are using may be giving you a false reading. Are your reagents dated or expired? If you are testing with strips have they been kept dry? When shaking your test tube are you using a cap or putting your finger over the top? Something as simple as that could produce a false reading. Especially when testing PH. Hope this helps
I use liquid test kit and it's not expired . I test 4 other of my fresh water tanks with no ammonia readings (so I know it's capable of given me a 0 reading lol ) the only day I've ever seen a 0 reading for ammonia was NOV 3rd.. A few days after I got the tank which has me puzzled . This really doesn't make any sense to me . Can anyone tell me why I can do a 90% water change and still have the same amount of ammonia as before ?? Mathematically it doesn't make any sense to me at all!!!
If my ammonia was off the charts it would make sense that there may still be some after the pwc, but my levels are not that high an a 90% should drop it to zero I would expect. There is nothing that should be causing the ammonia to still be present

Old 12-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Probably a dumb question but your not looking the a freshwater color chart are you.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #24

Is your test kit for freshwater and saltwater? Not all test kits work in both fresh and saltwater.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz007
Is your test kit for freshwater and saltwater? Not all test kits work in both fresh and saltwater.
OMG OMG OMG !!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2121905124.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	67108

New results with other tetra test kit

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1882201648.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	67109

I'd say we have a 0!!!!
I cannot believe I didn't notice that it was freshwater only . Wow . I'm happy though . I can zzzz good tonight ) thank you so much
Old 12-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ha ha.... Problem solved!
Old 12-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #27

Your welcome. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

great call fritz.

double check the simple basics. a reminder for all of us.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol This was a good read.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Sounds like something I would do! Also, just wondering, does anyone know if fresh or salt tests work better for brackish water? I have tests for fresh and salt water but I'm always unsure which card I need to be looking at.

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com