Help! Losing my mind with this ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, I was reading your thread and wanted to say even without live rock your tank should have cycled within two months. The fact that you have clowns living in there that long without any ill effects makes me wonder if there is any ammonia in your tank at all. Especially with the fact that you have no nitrates or nitrites I would suspect the test kit you are using may be giving you a false reading. Are your reagents dated or expired? If you are testing with strips have they been kept dry? When shaking your test tube are you using a cap or putting your finger over the top? Something as simple as that could produce a false reading. Especially when testing PH. Hope this helps

Fritz007 said:
Hi, I was reading your thread and wanted to say even without live rock your tank should have cycled within two months. The fact that you have clowns living in there that long without any ill effects makes me wonder if there is any ammonia in your tank at all. Especially with the fact that you have no nitrates or nitrites I would suspect the test kit you are using may be giving you a false reading. Are your reagents dated or expired? If you are testing with strips have they been kept dry? When shaking your test tube are you using a cap or putting your finger over the top? Something as simple as that could produce a false reading. Especially when testing PH. Hope this helps

I use liquid test kit and it's not expired . I test 4 other of my fresh water tanks with no ammonia readings (so I know it's capable of given me a 0 reading lol ) the only day I've ever seen a 0 reading for ammonia was NOV 3rd.. A few days after I got the tank which has me puzzled . This really doesn't make any sense to me . Can anyone tell me why I can do a 90% water change and still have the same amount of ammonia as before ?? Mathematically it doesn't make any sense to me at all!!!
If my ammonia was off the charts it would make sense that there may still be some after the pwc, but my levels are not that high an a 90% should drop it to zero I would expect. There is nothing that should be causing the ammonia to still be present

Is your test kit for freshwater and saltwater? Not all test kits work in both fresh and saltwater.

Fritz007 said:
Is your test kit for freshwater and saltwater? Not all test kits work in both fresh and saltwater.

OMG OMG OMG !!!!!

image-2121905124.jpg

New results with other tetra test kit

image-1882201648.jpg

I'd say we have a 0!!!!
I cannot believe I didn't notice that it was freshwater only . Wow . I'm happy though . I can zzzz good tonight :)) thank you so much

Sounds like something I would do! Also, just wondering, does anyone know if fresh or salt tests work better for brackish water? I have tests for fresh and salt water but I'm always unsure which card I need to be looking at.

Not sure but I would think if the salt in the water is at detectable levels I would use the saltwater test.

Yeah that's what I've been doing. I have my salinity around 1.015 so I figured salt would be closer.

Back
Top Bottom