Help Me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blue71

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had some issues with this tank... Lots of algae for no apparent reason, Nitrates are at 2ppm, Nitrites are at 0, Ammonia is at 0, I think it is that I have no skimmer, or that i dont use RO/DI water, It is a 55g with an amiracle wet/dry, and the stock is pretty low, I have 1 yellow tang, 2 clowns, and 2 damsels. no other invertabrates or CUC, as the person who had the tank before me used copper meds.

You should get yourself an RO/DI unit for starters, a skimmer would definitely help you out. How often are you doing PWC's? How long is your lighting on for? Have you tested for silicates and phosphates? A cuc would help out tremendously, but you say the tank was treated with copper so that makes that one iffy, you could try a lawnmower blenny thay love algae. What color is your algae by the way? You said you have a yellow tang, he isn't eating any of it? By the way he doesn't belong in your tank, he needs at least 100 gallon tank or better. Anyway you get the idea.

I do really need to do water changes more often, but the tang is very small at about 3in. tops. I am alomost ready to upgrade to a 120g but I will have to postpone untill July because we are moving. I plan on giving the tang to my dad's boss for a little while after we move to put in the 180g in one of their conference rooms. How much do RO/DI units cost? And I was wondering how to vaccum sand in an aquarium? The algae is mostly dark green and light brown, the tang is actually eating a TON of it but mostly off the rocks. My light may be on too long also, it is from 7am-9pm. But is not very bright, it is still the standard AGA fixture with a Aqua-Glos bulb.

Back
Top Bottom