Help me with switching my reef to a FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ill have a few questions along this process to I figured id make a thread to ask my questions in instead of making a bunch of new threads over and over

So iv never done a fowlr tank really other then temporary ones. I had an issue and will be switching some thing around and want to change my 75g to a FOWLR. the 75g is a reef tank with a bare bottom but I want to put sand in if im doing a FOWLR tank. What should I use for cleaning my sand and turning it over, I know i can use sand sifting gobies but they are messy. I will be using a sugar grain sand because i am going to hatch a cat shark. Im just not really firmiluar with they type of clean up crews people have in a fowlr tank. I cant have shrimp in the tank because my marine betta will eat them and so will the snowflake eel.

I did something similar about a year ago. I just removed the sand all together and replaced it with starboard. That way I could hit the bottom hard with circulation so nothing settled and the skimmer picked up the pooh and uneaten food.

It was just easier so I could keep more fish without having to worry about detritus building up. Fish are messy and I wanted to concentrate on growth with heavy feeding. Worked out well and never had a water quality issue.

switching over

I have live sand at the bottom...very cool to turn off lights and wait about an hour and take a flashlight and look at all of the stuff moving around. I also have a 30" snowflake. I have hermit crabs, brittle starfish and a few snails for my clean up crew. No issues yet. I also have a 6" koran angel, trtigger, foxface, and 4 damsels. :cool:

I did something similar about a year ago. I just removed the sand all together and replaced it with starboard. That way I could hit the bottom hard with circulation so nothing settled and the skimmer picked up the pooh and uneaten food.

It was just easier so I could keep more fish without having to worry about detritus building up. Fish are messy and I wanted to concentrate on growth with heavy feeding. Worked out well and never had a water quality issue.

well i have to have a sand bed because i will be raising a cat shark in the tank until he gets about 1.5ft then he will go into a larger tank.

The tank will have a cat shark, snowflake eel, marine betta, sailfin tang.

So im trying to figure out what kind of CUC I should have in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom