Help!!! Moving DSB Right Now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bound_for_obx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, I'm in the process of moving my tank. The top 1" to 1 1/2" inches of sand smell fine. below that has a fairly unpleasant sulfer smell. Do I need to trash the DSB????? If so, I assume that I can just save the top layer and use it to seed the new DSB. Please Advise!!!!

I am currently scraping off about 1" layers of sand and keeping them is seperate buckets. Can I keep the sand and just put it back in the tank in appropriate layers?

I really don't know. I guess as long as the top doesn't smell bad, it would be ok. :?

Your parameters arent off. Lakes smell sometimes.

I dont think there would be anything wrong with it. But Im new so im not sure.

Is your sand black or have black spots? I think that's when your supposed to worry. The smell I'm not sure is such a big deal. Although, when I moved my tank, I don't remember the sand smelling bad.

I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Lay down a new 3-4 inch base if you have fresh sand available and use an inch or so of your established sandbed on top. Better safe than sorry. Good Luck.

The smell dissapated quickly. And there were no dark spots or layers in the bed. I'm going to try and re-layer the DSB and hope for the best. I'll keep you posted.

*Keeping_my_fingers_crossed_OBX

I would rinse it in SW before I reused it..... If you have some other sand you can use it might not be a bad idea to stat over ..... Keeping the top layer is a good idea.

I did mine Friday and had new sand just in case. Once I started, I did not get any smell but once everything was back in the tank I got a small ammonia reading. I added everything except some LPS and my SPS. I wated 24hrs before adding them.

All appear to have weathered but my tank looks like hell still.

Hopefully yours went well. I would have removed the sand if it stank real bad but stink is subjective :)

Good luck.

I reassembled the sand bed without incidence. However I did have a massive sand storm that took a few days to precipitate out. I'm not positive, but I don't think that I lost any critters.

Thanks all!
~Bound

Back
Top Bottom