Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Post some water test results so we can see if your tank is cycled.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi Miss
Very sorry to hear about your situation. What Im am about to say wont help you in the present situation but it might in the future. In my experience the worst place to go for advice is a lfs,for two reasons, one the stores interest is vastly different then yours.They want to sell you stuff and as often as possible[and replacement fish] The other reason is the low wages they pay to their staff, this brings in people that have no clue what they are talking about many of them still give advice like they were experts. I had one guy here in a large fish store try to sell me a trigger covered in white spots as a rare color variation of the fish, when the fish died in his tank week later it was not due to ich but a total mystery. The best place for advice is a place like this where fish hobbyists offer advice with no personal interest in mind. You still must screen the information as some post for the sake of posting but most of the information is great Good luck

Old 02-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #13

I agree with you ...

Thanks for responding...SO do you have any advice as to what to do now??
How do I fix the problem, I feel bad for the fish that are in it if something is wrong such as the lg damsel twitching and scratching acting strange although there is nothing on it anywhere...
Help ...
Old 02-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #14

Melosu asked for water tests to see what is happening in your tank at the present time that in my opinion is the place to start. Can you post water SG temp ammo nitrite nitrate levels etc
Old 02-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

She previously posted them: PH 7.8 Alk high Nitrite 1 or above Ammonia 0 Nitrate is 20

The numbers are not bad (salinity?). Assuming you cycled your tank it is common for nitrates to increase in new tanks with the added nitrogen (fish waste and food). The scratching is a common sign of ich so 'Search' the forums for some good identifiers of it.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #16

salinity readings

The salinity in my tank is 1.022 and as for the Ich I see nothing white on him anywhere as a matter fact I see nothing abnormal on him at all except for the color fading ...
Old 02-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #17

Sorry I thought the water tests were 2 days old. The PH is on the low end of the scale. I find that if the number falls below 8.2 that is a good indicator that pollutants are present in the water, do you use a skimmer? also in a fully cycled tank you should not have any nitrites. What is your SG? For now I would do several WCs to try to get the PH and the nitrates closer to the norm.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #18

At this stage I would not go straight to the ich explanation however ich first attacks the gills, by the time you see white spots its been there for a while. The color fading could be due to stress
Old 02-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

pH has nothing to do with pollutants in the water columns and just an indicator of the water's acidic or alkaline nature. A pH of 7.8-8.2 is the average with 7.6 and 8.4 being in the extremes, but not necessarily detrimental. Also, there are always residual nitrites, but most test kits are unable to test low enough. 1.022 is what, about 29ppt? It is considered acceptable for fish-only systems, but I prefer a natural salinity between 32-35ppt myself. Alkalinity was mentioned as high, but a number would be best since "high" is interpretive to each person. So the color is fading, during the day or just at night?
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #20

OK , I hope I am giving good info sorry if it is not ..
The 1.022 is the salinity
My Alk test doesn't show me numbers it only says low, med, high .
The color fading is during the day and night for the last 24hrs.
I am going to do another 20% WC
also it was suggested by a friend that I ad some Macro Alge to the tank and more LR.
I was thinking if the Macro Alge is good maybe just setting up a refugium instead.??
Any input on this ?

Tags
damsel, damsels, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com