Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help! My puffer will only eat live goldfish

I have a small porcupine puffer ( 2-1/4") that will only eat live goldfish. I know that's not good. I've been trying to feed him the frozen brine shrimp, but he just watches the stuff go by and ignores virtually all of it. He won't even eat a dead goldfish, just the live ones. I tried live brine shrimp, but I think they're so small he doesn't want to bother with them either. I don't have a nearby LFS that carries ghost shrimp; in fact, the only LFS is the store that told me that this pufferfish won't get much bigger than he is, and that he would be fine simply eating the goldfish. Any advice? Please?

Also...would it be possible to grow the brine shrimp to a larger size and then feed it to him? Would I need to do that outside of the Puffer's home? Any knowledge on that would be welcome as well.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
You could try some fresh/raw/unseasoned pieces of shrimp (from your local grocery store), soaked in garlic extreme. Soak for no more than 20-30 minutes, use some airline tubing with a little suction and move it around to try and attempt him....
I have never owned one, but folks have had success with this method. I'm sure there are other's with better, personal knowledge/experience.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I find it easiest to simply train the fish to eat whatever is offered in a net or similar container. Just take the goldfish, scoop them up in a net, and place them with the net into the tank. They will swim out and the puffer can eat them, but eventually the puffer will associate the net with food. After a while it will even probably swim right into the net to get at the goldfish. At this point, try slipping a few other prey items in such as squid, krill, silversides, etc. It may take a month or two, but this always works for me.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
one trick you might try that has worked for me is get some empty clamshells, put the chopped up shrimp inside and "close" the shell, seat it in the sandbed. Soon the puffer will find it and break open the shell (or think he is anyway) and eat the shrimp inside. Do not be afraid to let it miss a meal or two, it won't starve to death and it will be more receptive to the clam trick.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #5

Wow....what great ideas! I'm definitely going to try them, and it even sounds like fun advice to experiment with. Thanks a bunch!!! You guys are great.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can you take a video and put it on YouTube of the feed?
flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:50 PM   #7

I feed my porcupine puffer frozen krill or frozen scallops. All we do is put some food on the end of some tweezers and move it around the tank. In no time he comes after it and eats it. He does tend to be picky. If i feed him the same thing every day for about 4 days that last day he doesn't show much interest in his food. I try to mix up his feedings, krill for a couple nights then scallops for one night. So far this has worked. Good luck...
Old 01-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
one trick you might try that has worked for me is get some empty clamshells, put the chopped up shrimp inside and "close" the shell, seat it in the sandbed.
WOW! That is a great idea!! It will also help him whittle down his fused "teeth".

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

That`s why it`s always a good point to watch the fish first before you bring him home to see that he eats prepared food. My LFS knows that any fish I`m going to get that he has to prove that he is eating.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I first got into SW I had a snowflake eel with the same type of problem. I started putting small pieces of shrimp dipped in dt's on the tip of a wooden stick and danced it in front of the eel. REALLY cool when it works and I would def suggest recording it if possible. Good Luck

Tags
eat, goldfish, live, puffer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com