HELP! need help deciding on fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMHuestis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, im just getting in to saltwater aquariums. I've been doing a ton of research online and have read some books but I need some help deciding on fish and their compatibility. I currently have 2 ocellaris clown fish and am looking to build from there. Its a smaller tank, so nothing over 3-4 inches max growth and im looking for 3 moreHere are the fish that I'm looking at now, they are all available at the LFS

Midas blenny: my second favorite fish, love the color, swimming motion. Another option would be a tribal blenny

Royal gramma: love the colors

Banggai cardinal: love the stripes and quick darts

Long nosed hawkfish: third favorite fish but not sure about its worth having because they seem to want to eat everything

Coral beauty dwarf angel: love the colors
Flame dwarf angel: love the colors- seem to be a little more difficult to care for than the coral beauty

I would also like to get some cleaners like:

Lawnmower blenny/scooter blenny

Cleaner shrimp

Star fish.

Thanks!
Justin

I have had a royal gramma, they spend alot of time in the rocks, not a very "swimmy" fish. My lawnmower blenny has wonderful personality i def recommend them. :)
I like the midas blenny over the tribal, much more flow and I think prettier and more colorful.

The others are all fine fish too. lol I can see where you have trouble deciding.

Depending on the fish you pick I think you can get the 3 more that you are looking for.

I'd go with a coral beauty or a flame angel as long as you're sure you won't want corals in the future. Dwarf angels are really fun to keep and have a ton of personality.

I'd go with a coral beauty or a flame angel as long as you're sure you won't want corals in the future. Dwarf angels are really fun to keep and have a ton of personality.

Are they good with clowns & blenny's & Hawks?

thanks! and do the cleaners add to the bio load? (Can i have 5 fish and then have a few cleaners? and are scooter & lawnmower blennys considered cleaners?)

Thats a close call as the Blenny does eat algae and vegetation.
I wouldn't say they are a part of your "clean up crew" as traditionally CuC's are inverts (snails, crabs, shrimp etc.)

I'd say the Blenny would put out more waste than they clean.

sorry for the double post. And i picked up my two clown fish today.. how long should I wait until i start adding more fish?

I'd say wait at least 2 weeks for the tank's bioload to stablize. Clowns aren't too messy and you shouldn't see a spike (if you have cycled correctly), it's best not to rush in this hobby!

Scooter and especially lawnmwer blennies are hit and miss, as they sometimes will not eat prepared foods. And no, lawnmowers are a fish with normal bioloads. Not considered cleaners - other than eating hair algae.

Unless you have an unlimited supply of pods don't get a scooter blenny very few are trained for prepared foods and will stop eating prepared foods at any time. What kind of clowns did you get?

My lawnmower eats just about anything that gets near it. Brine shrimp, Algea and I would bet my missing Cardinal. If he did, I would say he did a great clean up job because the cardinal fish is nowhere to be found. Maybe he buried it?
Anyway he looks pretty guilty to me.

Attachments

• DSC07829.jpg
    DSC07829.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 116
My lawnmower is so fat he cant sit flat on the sand or rock, I really need to get a picture. LOL It's funny and kinda sad all at the same time.

And another thing, mine poops like crazy. hehe so yeah, they have a bioload.

And I second avoiding the scooter "blenny" small cute fish but heck of a lot of trouble to feed him. Took weeks to get mine to eat prepared foods and he looked anorexic until he did start eating. Hard fish to raise but the LFS just told me he ate anything. LOL

Back
Top Bottom