Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help !! Nitrite levels too high

Help!!! This is my first tank set up . It will be just fish and rocks (not live). I have had the tank cycling from about a month now. I used a product called bacter boost which is suppose to cycle the tank in three days. After a couple of weeks I took a water sample to the pet shop and they tested the water and told me that everything was peaking and that was normal. But the other day (two weeks later ) i took another sample and was told the everything was fine except for my nirites . Which never dropped with my ammonia after the peak . PH perfect , ammonia perfect , nirites high . I was told to do a water 30% water change so I did . That was this past sunday . Tested the water tonight ph good , ammonia good , NIRITES NOT GOOD . Please help !!!!

Old 11-22-2006, 01:20 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The nitrates should be high at the end of the cycle. PWC`s will keep nitrates diluted. When you have zero ammonia and zero nitrites and high nitrates then your cycle is done and that is when you do PWC`s. Good Luck

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to zenkatydid Send a message via AIM to zenkatydid Send a message via MSN to zenkatydid
i believe he has high nitrItes, not high nitrAtes. this means your cycle has not completed. if you have fish in your tank already you should be doing lots of water changes to get the levels down until the tank finishes cycling.
zenkatydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have green chromis only . I was told they would help cycle faster. Should i just wait a couple more weeks or just do another water change?
Old 11-22-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
That is the problem with taking short cuts. There is another post where we discussed this at length. The bottled additives never allow the cycle to progress in a normal fashion and so now you are paying the price. Bad advice from a LFS trying to sell products.

At this point in time, if you dont do the water changes, the fish will most likely die. That should be your primary concern. If at all possible, take them back and allow the tank to cycle normally. If this is not an option then do the water changes and understand this will mean your cycle will take a couple weeks longer but at least the fish will have a chance.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Sorry I thought you said nitrates. Yes your cycle is not done if you are having high nitrites.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks !!! I have one question. Is it possible that my tank has not finished cycling and in a few weeks my nirites will drop? I have read some threads on cycling and they say that your ammonia and nirites will peak and then drop , but your nirites will be the last to drop and once that does then your tank has finished it cycle.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

yes, that is how it works, but your live fish are living in a toxic waste dump. You need to be concerned about their well being.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok , I will remove they (return they to the pet shop) . After removing them should I then just leave the tank alone and let it run for a few weeks then test the water ? And should i do a water change after removing them ?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

do not do any water changes, let the denitrifying bacteria grow. Do the water change after nitrite test reads zero.

Tags
level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com