help on changing cc to aragonite substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowyellow

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I would like to change from a crushed coral substrate to aragonite reef sand because of two things. AA tells me it collects food and waste faster than sand. Also, I will want to add blennies in the future I just love their faces. I now have 4 chromis, 2 stars and 2 snails. Do I replace the old cc all at once or do something like 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 and can a siphon do the work or do I shovel it out while doing a huge water change? I appreciate any and all help.:silly:

Replace 1/4 of it at a time. Siphon up a 1/4 spot while doing a PWC. Then get a piece of PVC and slide rinsed aragonite sand down to where you want it. This will minimize the cloudiness.

i would not add any smaller sand until you've removed all of the larger grain substrate. remove it in increments if you like, but don't add the new stuff till all the old is gone.

Also don't forget to put your rock on the glass bottom. Don't sit your rock on top of the sand, some fish/critters like to dig in the sand and might cause your rocks to fall and hurt something (corals etc) or even might break your glass if they fall far enough.

Back
Top Bottom