Help! Rust or Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronin33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Started noticing the presence of a rust colored substance on my LR, followed by Sand. Is this algae or actual rust? Added some pictures to help. I have a 90 gallon tank w Sump (Mega Flow 3), Rio 2500W pump (594 Gph), Chempure and Chempure elite chemical filter bags in sump, second powerhead (294 gph) and recently installed a Coralife Needlewheel Protein skimmer (up to 125 gallons) and a UV filter. Current parameters are: pH 8.3, Temp 78 F, Salinity 1.020, Ammonia 0ppm/nitrite 0ppm/nitrate 0ppm. There is a Yellow Tang, Maroon Clownfish and a small Lionfish in the tank. FOWLR, approximately 90 lbs of LR.

Attachments

• Rust.jpg
    Rust.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Rust Vs Algae 002.jpg
    Rust Vs Algae 002.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Rust Vs Algae 003.jpg
    Rust Vs Algae 003.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Rust Vs Algae 004.jpg
    Rust Vs Algae 004.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 152
Established the tank abut 6 weeks ago. Finished cycling about 1.5 weeks ago. Started adding fish at that time. Used Tap water initially to fill the tank (No RO ID).

Sounds like diatoms to me it'll go away once its done running its course. Just make sure to keep up with your PWC's. Also be careful adding so many fish so fast, you run the risk of overloading your bioload and wasting the money you just spent on fish.

He has FOWLR You don't have to have it that high unless you have corals. I would raise it to 1.023 slowly in case you choose to do corals at some point but that wouldn't be causing any more or less algae. Just keep up with your PWC's and good luck.

What's a Diatome? Should I purchase a ROID for future water changes? Thanks! Are they harmful to the Bacteria responsible for my Biofiltration? Should I get an additional test kit for these (Right now I can test for SG, pH, Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates only)?

diatoms is brown algae that you're seeing, it's not rust. And you should have a CUC - Clean up Crew such as nassarius Snails to turn over your sandbed and also like Turbo, Margarita, Cerith or Astrea snails. Plus you also notice you added 3 fishes at the same time after it finished cycling, it's kinda dangerous on the bioload levels. Keep an eye on it.

Also, How long do you have your lights on daily? Diatoms bloom faster if you put your lights longer than 7-8hours, so keep your light hours low.

Last edited:
Thanks :) Same as diatomaceous earth used in filters for pools etc.. Just hooked up a uv filter. Will this help? Turbo snails?:uzi:

I dunno about the diatomaceous, but your tank has no cleanup crew, you can get some snails, hermit crabs and/or emerald crabs to solve your diatoms, my best bet is to get Nassarius snails (they dig under the sand) and turbo or astrea snails. Since your tank is big, I would recommend probably like 5-10 Nassarius and like 5 turbos.

Thanks :) Same as diatomaceous earth used in filters for pools etc.. Just hooked up a uv filter. Will this help? Turbo snails?:uzi:

Diatom is Algae that occurs with just about EVERY new tank. Trust me, if you just pull back on your lighting as Jenny mentioned and pick up some snails etc it will be gone before you know it.

It was right around the 6 week point when my diatom bloom occured. It lasted a week or two and went away on its own. It's all part of the new tank breakin.

I have no idea what a UV filter does ..sorry... new to this hobby myself.

What's a CUC? I bought 4 Narcius snails, 4 Turbo snails and a Hermit crab today, plus the UV filter has been added since the appearence. Any other suggestions?

CUC - Clean up Crews, and what you get is right, depending on your size tank you might need more Nassarius.

On the RO/DI.

Measure the phosphates in your tap and tank. That'll tell you if you might consider one. Then, like said, if fish only, maybe it's not as important.

CUC = clean up crew. Crabs, snails, shrimp, etc.

Back
Top Bottom