Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help stocking 20 gallon saltwater tank

I'm in an aquatic science class and this is my first time doing a saltwater tank. I don't really know anything about the tank what kind of filter we are using or anything like that because she hasn't told us. Well everything is set up and ready for fish according to her but not so sure since the tank has only been running since we got back after the hurrican 2-3 weeks ago. the school is pushing her to get fish in the tanks so she wants us to have fish by next week.

Whats a fish i can get thats easy to care for (since im a beginer), thats very hardy (since i'm not so sure about the tank)?

Old 10-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm thinking about clownfish. Would that be ok? How many could i put in a 20 gallon? Do they need specail care? Can i put more than one specie's in the tank or should i just stick to one specie's?

Old 10-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would suggest a False Percula or O. Clown for your tank. With a 20g you could have 2 but that would be about it for fish in such a small tank. They are easy to care for and are very hardy fish.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stick to one species or they may fight. Like Ziggy said your best off with a False Perc as compared to any other.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would make sure the tank has been cycled before you add a poor fish to sewage like conditions. Have you been testing the water for ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes?
Check out the link under my sig about fishless cycle. It makes for a good science experiment. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher to join this site. We would love to help you all learn.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
I would make sure the tank has been cycled before you add a poor fish to sewage like conditions. Have you been testing the water for ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes?
Check out the link under my sig about fishless cycle. It makes for a good science experiment. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher to join this site. We would love to help you all learn.
Absolutely! Having more schools/teachers involved in the site would be great. There are a lot of veterans on this site that would be more then happy to help out!

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, stocking, stocking 20 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com