Help stocking 60-65 gallon??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jroxsox101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys I'm new to this site, so just a little background
I've had the tank since 2010 and originally had a 26 and upgraded to a 60 about a year ago. In my 60 gallon, i have about 100+ lbs f live rock, a 175 gallon canister filter, 2 750 gph powerheads, a protein skimmer, T5 lighting, and a heater.
Fish: 2 false percs that I've had since the beginning, a coral beauty, a six line wrasse, and an algae blenny
corals: kenya tree, star polyps, a flower pot (didn't know that it was one of the most impossible to keep!!!), red mushrooms, and another one is some type of finger coral i think.

So I'm just wondering what other fish I could have and what other corals?
Also, I want to upgrade my lighting, any suggestions?
Thanks in advance! :)

Really sorry to go off subject and not contribute anything to your question. I have a canister filter as well, do you have any major problems when it comes to keeping corals? Do you do anything special? I only ask because, most hobbyists do everything they can to discourage you from doing anything as long as you have a canister filter. I apologize for going off subject once again.

since day one, i've had a HOB filter. I had a really crappy marineland thing, upgraded to a canister filter, and then won a 175 canister filter. when i started, i didnt know what a sump was, and in an instant i would switch over if i hadnt won the filter and my mom let me :(. but in the canister filter i just have bioballs, a phosphate reducer, sponges, and carbon. my current water levels are
ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <10
so obviously its working :)
if you have the chance, get a sump because they are just more compact (meaning that you can put your protein skimmer and refugium and bioballs and everything) and you can do a lot more with them such as mangroves.
but no, i have never had a problem with a canister filter.
and dont worry! always happy to help!

Thank you. I spent too much money for my fluval to just switch :). I'm on the same boat, 0,0, and less than 10. I want to get my feet wet with some beginner corals.

as long as you have sufficient lighting, flow, and calcium, then go ahead! go get some mushrooms, and in a few months they will be all over the place!
good luck! :fish1:

Back
Top Bottom