Help.. White spots but don't look like ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam-1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I bought my first fish about 5 days ago.. a yellow tang. It was fine for the first couple of days however since about 3 days ago there have been white patches about 3-4mm in diameter appearing on its body and fins. It is eating and swimming fine. It flashes/scratches occasionally so there is something definately irritating it. I don't think its ich as i believe the white spots are like grains of salt. Please can someone help me identify what is wrong with him.

Kindest regards

does it sort of look like a cottony white thing, its hard for me to describe but lets just say does it look like a small raised piece of cotton see if you can post a picture youll get alot more help

no pics but here is a vid

sorry no pics he's too fast! and the white spots are quite faint aswell, they don't show up in the pics. They aren't cottony and his belly is a litlle bumpy aswell.

Last edited:
yeaa i cant really see much in the video to give you a good enough answer man, its most likely a parasite and since hes in your main tank and im sure he is going to be a pain in the *** to catch, you should try dosing his food with garlic xtreme to boost his immune system to possibly fight w.e it is off also it wouldnt hurt to buy a bottle of concentrated vitamin C and soak his food in that when i first got my tank going i had a whole mess of problems and i did the garlic with the vitamin c ontop of this medication absorbant called seachem focus and the symptons cleared up in a week also microbe lift is a good product as well

Thankfully it looks like he is recovering now. I have been feeding more often than usual for the past couple of days. The UV sterilizer will also be installed by tomorrow and hopefully this will help to control whatever it is if it tries to strike again. :zook: I'll also try what you have recommended.. i'm already feeding him the whole range of new era flakes and liposome sprays which i believe contain immuno-stimulants but since i've only had him a few days it will take a few months to kick in. Do you by any chance feed nori to yours? If so do you buy from supermarket?

Back
Top Bottom