Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Research the adult sizes and behavior of these fish, as well as the care req's. Those puffers need a steady diet of hard shelled creatures like snails to wear down their teeth. Moorish idols are hard to keep. Make sure you see it eat prepared foods before you buy it.
Chromis aren't going to work with eels. Foxface and angels are fine.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I was just browsing and found that too, but I really want one and we have a dead coral collection from when we got a rtn outbreak. but it said we can put those in there for the puffer to help with his growing teeth problem. That is the one fish that I would do anything for. I've always wanted one. And with the moorish idol... maybe we'll look into similar looking butterflies. are there any small schooling type fish that would be okay with an eel? We just want to fill in empty space if we only get a couple big fish. Haha, or would the chromis be fine with everything minus an eel?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 03-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nothing small is going to work with an eel. Yes, you could keep smaller fish without the eel. Just make sure you understand that as large as you may think it is, a 150 gallon tank is still limited. A hand full of adult fish and you have a large bio load for that tank. Don't worry about empty areas, for the big fish will be constantly moving and will not leave any area empty for long
Besides, folks don't focus on empty areas, they focus on fish with personality, like the puffer.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cooool! I think I'll have to go without the small fish, we can put them in our reef. :p I'm excited and we haven't even started building the stand.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

RTN outbreak? RTN is not a disease that's contagious. It's what happens to a coral when it's under less than ideal conditions for too long. It's just another way of saying "my coral is dying very quickly".
That said, I don't see puffers eating coral skeletons too often. They eat the snails for food, and just happen to have to break through the hard shells. I don't see them chomping down on empty snail shells either...just ones with live snails inside. Just be aware that you may have to purchase snails for this purpose.
As for the moorish idol, if you can't find one of them that eats prepared foods, you might be able to find a heniochus that does.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Every person that we have talked to that has had rtn said it killed all of their acros or sps... we even looked and looked for a solution because our tank was stable parameters lights and all. .. and we found that it is caused by an unknown reason... but either way, we lost a lot, all at once. I could arrange to buy him snail treats.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry I'm just responding, but RTN can happen to a single coral that's not happy, without effecting anything else in the tank. It's definitely not contagious. Again, less than ideal conditions may effect the entire acropora population, and in many cases, it does. This is what's probably happening to the folks you talked to. What I've seen was mainly alkalinity issues.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

RTN is just a hobby grade term. Something happened in your tank and your corals went downhill. Probably a swing of some sort. On fish I wouldn't put any big angel in a tank that size.
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

We'll probably just put smaller angels.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlrm23 View Post
We'll probably just put smaller angels.

The dwarfs would be excellent

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com