Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Help with 150 fowlr from the beginning

We already have a 60g reef tank with hydras and all but we want to start a 150 fowlr for fish that are not reef safe. What suggestions can we get for lighting? Can we put together our own? As far as a stand... we are going to build it. And structural suggestions? What kind of filtration system is ideal? We are trying to keep it cheap... (I know, lol) any input is appreciated!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 03-21-2014, 04:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I dont know what cheap is to you but you can look into current usa t5 lighting or try to find something cheaper on ebay. The best filter to use would be a sump and of course you cant skip out on the skimmer especially with some heavy hitters. Youll have to remember if trying to make a predator tank they are sloppy. Id go for making your own sump

Old 03-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

We will definitely get another skimmer. Most likely eshopps because we really like our in sump skimmer for the reef. And we have a used homemade sump from a friend that owned a shop. We got a pretty sweet deal from him. as far as a predator tank, we don't need fancy lighting? Like for the corals right? How often do you have to change t5 bulbs? Do you recommend a phosban reactor? Or, is that more beneficial for coral? How much flow is required for a 150 fowlr? Thanks for your help!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
A FOWLR is a "fish only with live rock"- no corals are present. You are describing an aggressive reef. T5 lamps should be changed every 9 months or so if you have photosynthetic creatures, if not, you can leave them as long as they are still working.

you will need enough water movement to keep detritus suspended in the water column until your filtration can remove it. For a 6' tank I would use three 1500 gph power heads or so.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlrm23 View Post
We will definitely get another skimmer. Most likely eshopps because we really like our in sump skimmer for the reef. And we have a used homemade sump from a friend that owned a shop. We got a pretty sweet deal from him. as far as a predator tank, we don't need fancy lighting? Like for the corals right? How often do you have to change t5 bulbs? Do you recommend a phosban reactor? Or, is that more beneficial for coral? How much flow is required for a 150 fowlr? Thanks for your help!

With just fish you don't need fancy lighting. You could just go to led lighting that would last longer. Without corals you won't need anything real high powered. T5 bulbs are suppose to be replaced once a year I believe, that's all I ever did. You may still want a phosban but you can always add it later if problems start to occur
Old 03-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I meant we don't need fancy lighting like for the corals we have in our 60 gallon reef. We aren't going to put corals in this one... I think we may go without a phosban. So all we need are a couple power heads, regular t5's, a hob filter, a skimmer, and media for our sump? That already sounds cheaper than the reef! Lol!

Old 03-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yea a lot cheaper than a reef lol. You may be able to go to t8 lights since they won't be growing anything. They are cheaper then t5.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
There are plenty of cheap freshwater LED fixtures out there also, which use very little electricity, and will make everything look nice with no bulb replacement, ever.
Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting System

Satellite Freshwater LED Light Fixture - 1800PetSupplies.com
Old 03-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

AWESOME! Thanks for all your help! I'm so much more excited that we don't have to buy $800 worth of lights. OH! One more question, how many fish would you put in a 150 fowlr? I definitely want a couple fancy fish like a dalmatian puffer maybe a moorish idol, a few chromis, some kind of angelfish, a magnificent foxface, maybe an eel.... not saying all but these are ones we like. We still have to research compatibility. All those have minimum tank size of 150 or smaller on live aquaria.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

It's not super predator, more of a semi aggressive "fish we wish we can have in a reef tank" tank.

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com