Help with crabs!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I first started my saltwater tank, one of the first things I got was two emerald crabs. For some reason I like crabs and they are interesting to watch.

I then added 2 cleaner shrimps, THE EMERALD CRAB KILLED THEM!!!

ALSO KILLED A CORAL BANDED SHRIMP!! I was so mad!!!

I decided to put the emerald crabs in prison for life (fulval edge saltwater tank), luckily not a death sentence (my toilet bowl)

Couple weeks ago, I decided to buy some hermit crabs, small size. about 4-5 of them.

They Killed my yellow watchmen GOBy, and my high fin spotted goby!!!

HOW CAN THE SMALL, SLOW CRAB, catch the gobies???

I didnt actually see it kill it, but i watched as it was eating them.

OTHER THAN SNAILS and CRAbs, WHAT else can i add, that will clean up the tank and is not aggresive?

Nitrates are too high, so i cannot add any invertabrates

any advice

i don't think the emerald crabs killed the shrimp. i think the fish and shrimp are dying, and the crabs are eating the remains. you said so yourself- nitrates are too high for inverts. shrimp are inverts.
what are your water parameters? salinity? temp/ does it fluctuate? how are you acclimating these creatures?

In your other threads 0000, you stated your going through nitrate problems. I'd say do some water changes and see where your at then. Emeralds and hermits are 90% of the time way too slow to grab a fish or eat most living things. They scavange, and if you saw them eating your shrimp and fish, chances are they were already dead.

Also a little off topic, but why do you post under two different ID's?

In your other threads 0000, you stated your going through nitrate problems. I'd say do some water changes and see where your at then. Emeralds and hermits are 90% of the time way too slow to grab a fish or eat most living things. They scavange, and if you saw them eating your shrimp and fish, chances are they were already dead.

Also a little off topic, but why do you post under two different ID's?

sry one account is saved on my home computer, the other on my work computer, because forgetting passwords, blah, blah, blah...........

maybe they are dying, becuase of the high nitrate levels, but why is my other fish doing fine, like the clownfish, firefish, etc..

You're going to get better advice if you just post under one username. Posting half the story under one username, and the other half under another makes it kind of hard to give (and get) good advice.

Some fish are hardier than others... that could be one reason the gobies died. Or they could've been sick to start with. No way to really know. But I agree with the others - the crabs were just doing what they were meant to do... clean up dead things. They didn't kill the fish to start with.

This is true, although my crabs can be pretty quick when hungry, one last night crossed about a foot of my tank in under 3 secs when I put in some "real" food lol, But I still agree, mine are called fish-killers, yours on the other hand I doubt caught, and killed, your fish, srry for your loss

Back
Top Bottom