Help with feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesH

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a yellow eyed tang 2days ago and all it dose is hide and I haven't seen him eat yet. Any advice on what food to try? Am using frozen brine shrimp

Just go to your local Chinese market or local health food store. Buy some roasted seaweed or nori (not the flavored kind) put it in a veggy clip and place it in a low flow zone. Or you can roll it in your finger tips (in the water) until it breaks up into tiny pieces (that's how my tang eats it). I have never used garlic on mine, but if it works why not?

Thanks for the advice I do have seaweed I got from lfs and tried it with a clip didn't see him eat it but it was gone when I got home from work but there was bits of it floating round my tank so not sure if he ate it or the water broke it dwn? Have been told to wrap a bit round a rock with an elastic band is this a good idea?

Try a variety of different foods. They are herbivores so vegetable matter is the number one thing. But also try spirulina flakes, Frozen mysis shrimp and vitamin fortified brine. Variety is the key.

I tried three different types of seaweed. Red, purple and green. I've noticed that my tangs love the purple, don't mind the green occasionally and will not touch the red no matter what.

Steve

Ya mine is not liking the red that much, he will eat it though. I am going today to get him some green and purple.

He's getting braver he's out swimming about still don't seem to interested in the seaweed more interested in pecking at the rocks! How long should I leave the seaweed in? Heres a pic of the little fella

Attachments

• image-3984732492.jpg
    image-3984732492.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 78
Take it out before it starts looking really mushy but have some more ready to go in. I'm pretty sure it took mine three or four days before he was pecking at it. I found the tangs to be more skittish than my clowns. The tangs took a little longer to come around, 3 or 4 days. Keep soaking with garlic guard.

Steve

Ya my tang took 3-4 days before he would eat it. Just use your fingers to break it up under water and make sure it floats in front of him. He will nibble eventually.

Back
Top Bottom