Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

help with filtration!!!!

Is it efficient /good to have 110g filter thru a canister that then goes into my wet dry sump then the refugium then back to tank??

Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

This will increase flow rate and I would only put the prefilter stuff in canister. But would this mess up the bacterial colonizing in the sumps bioballs matrix and liverock????

Please help me out guys!!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If it were me I would stick to just the sump and refugium, adding a canister to the mix I don't think will give you any added benefit really. Just my opinion though.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

My only problem that I'm worried about is it is a 20 gallon sump in the tank I'm getting is 110 gallons but it will only be like 6 big aggressive fish. Would a 20 gallon sump refugium really suffice that big of a tank? I'm getting the canister for free so I figured I would try and utilize it plus my sexy homemade overflow box has a bit of a leak problem I thought I could maybe come out on top of both worlds kind of thing. Plus my return pump is way more powerful than the over flow intake so I figured it would help the flow rate if the canisters outake was forcing more water in an equal out the flow. Know what I mean??? Still no good??
Old 10-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just seems like it's more complicated than it needs to be is all. I have a 20g or so sump on my 125g reef and havent had any issues. My overflow is rated at 1200gph and my return pump is at 1500gph before head loss is accounted for so I use a ball valve on the pump to throttle it back to match my overflow.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh really? ?? Hmm. Well aside from not having a skimmer your saying it should be fine, carey??? Even with those messy huge aggressives ???
Old 10-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would think a skimmer would help if you can fit it in the sump. I have a skimmer in mine, refugium then return pump. I keep macro algae, LR and sand in the refugium and it is really making a difference as far as nitrates and water quality.

I use a canister on my 55g tank with no skimmer at the moment and all is well there too. What canister filter do you have? Is it big enough to handle the tank by itself? The only caveat in using a canister is that it needs to be cleaned frequently or else you will notice it in your water parameters.....
Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

What if I only used the canister as a detritus catcher and intake pump basically. See I have a spray bar on my return but the water doesn't get all the way. Thru because the pimp is only working at 50%. Still say no go? Just asking cause I want to make the best of my situation and I highly respect your opinions
Old 10-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If I had them both and was going to have messy sloppy fish LOL, I would run the canister AND the sump, each separately on their own lines. I don't think the intake motor on the canister would be strong enough to also power the sumps needs. What else do you have? You mentioned an overflow, which one and whats it rated at? And the canister, which make and model if you know? I'd kinda like to see what youre working with as far as equipment. And what return pump do you have? Gph?

Sorry for soo many questions but it's kinda necessary to make a decent determination. I'm hoping one of our sump experts will chime in, I'm soo not more than adequate with sumps and wet drys....I only have the one running on my 125g right now, in fact I have a lot of questions still on my upcoming 90g wet/dry setup for my newest tank. hehe...
Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't know the canister im getting it tomorrow and I made the overflow.....actually everything myself.

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com