Help with Jawfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Guys I need some help/tips for my yellowhead jawfish.

The main thing is, which I shouldn't be worried about but am, is that he isn't coming out of his burrow. The first couple days he would dig a burrow (that I helped start) and he would go into the hole and cover it with a rock. He would stay there until probably the next day when he would have left his hole and moved into a hole in the live rock. I figured it was the problem with my fine sand substrate which is about 5", the problem being it was fine sand and the burrow was caving in underground etc (even though there was lots of crushed live rock for him)

So after this I went out and bought some crushed coral from my LFS and did the same thing, set up about 4-5" of the stuff and helped him start a burrow which he has remained in. I haven't seen him for about 2-3 days now and his entrance is covered with a rock. This burrow is like 90-100% crushed coral and my question is, is this too much % to use for a burrow? I've done research that says to use sand "not fine" and some live rock rubble. My crushed coral is probably all the size of pebbles and longer pieces of rocks. Should I just wait and hope he decides to come out? His entrance has been covered for 2-3 days and I haven't seen him at all. I would be worried about him not getting enough food pretty soon.

He is in a tank with 2 Clarkii's and 1 watchman goby and 1 pistol shrimp. The clarkii's leave him alone for the most part (besides hovering over his burrow when he first was digging). They are rapid eaters which may scare the jawfish but the jawfish isn't even opening the burrow. I would feed him directly to his burrow when he does. I wouldn't be worried if I saw sand still being sent out from beneath the entrance rock but I haven't seen any activity. Any ideas anybody? Would really appreciate it if someone who's experienced this would help ^^ thanks!

i wouldn't worry at all. as long as you have a tight fitting lid or mesh cover don't worry about substrate. i would worry more about the detritus that 5" of crushed coral is going to trap.

Back
Top Bottom