Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've had my lawnmower for several months. Since the beginning of my 29g first tank in fact. I never had a huge algae problem so mine has always eaten whatever I feed the tank. I do alos suggest the algae clip. I put one out every day pretty much for my blenny, tang and my sea hare.

I would suggest trying flake food first as they are supposed to be herbivores. Mine actually eats brine and mysis now. LOL I think I just got a crazy one.

Good luck though either way!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
You mite try some live Brine Shrimp.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Here's the link on the lawnmower

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Sailfin/Algae Blenny

It's supposed to be a herbivore so I would def try those preparation before any live food. It can be a hard fish to keep if you get the wrong one but keep trying!

I had to spend weeks getting my scooter dragonet to eat prepared food so I know it's tough sometimes. Just have patience and keep trying. If he gets to emaciated you can always bring him back to the LFS rather than him starving.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

austinsdad, I was wondering, how can I grow algae on a separate rock and switch it into the tank? I have a hob skimmer but no refugium. My lights are also just the regular kit lights that came with my tank :T .

Could I just leave a rock in some still tank water by the window and try and grow algae like that?

Also, I have some fish flakes already for my other fish but how do I feed it to him? Just drop them in the tank in front of him and hope for the best?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezy33 View Post
You mite try some live Brine Shrimp.
I don't mind trying anything, have you tried this method yourself?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just brought a algae blenny home from the LFS today and within hours the little guy was dead Even after watching him tour his 38 gallon home pearching on rocks and climbing into caves. Not sure whats going on, I acclimated for approx 1 hour and did a water test prior (where everything was within range) and a water change after placing him into tank. So if anybody has any thoughts please share, i was really excited about owning one and now he's gone...RIP
Old 08-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It could be from stress. How long ago did the lfs get him from shipment? When u add a new fish to a tank turn off the lights to reduce stress.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you Tomchong! That's encouraging. I'll do that next time, and how long would you suggest keeping the lights off during the early stages?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Francis, just by some nori sheets and use a rubberband to attach it to a rock every so often.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would suggest leaving them off for the rest of the day. Also a side note if you have allot of current in your tank you should turn off a few powerheads to allow the fish to get use to the tank. how r you acclimating them? I always float the bag and just add water directly to the bag. Then after a hour or so I net them into the tank.

Tags
blenny

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com